Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Clanking Window Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The Clanking Window Situation ::..

Hello Roverers!
I hope you all are keeping safe, healthy & busy with your Landys ;-]#
I had to check the driver window mechanism because of a loud clanking noise it is making when bringing window up or down.
At first I thought the 3D printed rollers had given up and broke; but no! after 4-5 yrs they are still working fine; and motor seems to be working as well.
Clanking noise seems to be from "teeth" mechanism "jumping" or not correctly engaging the small gear in motor when activated. Only two of the bolts holding the mechanism to the door get tightened good enough, other two just loosen when tightening.
Maybe mechanism is not getting enough support from just two tightened bolts, or it is just giving up. Any hints? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2020, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I'm having a similar problem, same window. Window would clank then get stuck partway down, but would keep going down when I press down on it. Then today, there was a clank and a sound like something falling off in the door, and no more motion on the window. I took the door panel off and manual lifted the window up into place. Tomorrow I'm going to try to take out the motor and arms and see if I can figure out where it is catching. Like you, I suspect that some teeth are jumping/slipping. I'll let you know if I figure something out.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by scurlock
Hey, I'm having a similar problem, same window. Window would clank then get stuck partway down, but would keep going down when I press down on it. Then today, there was a clank and a sound like something falling off in the door, and no more motion on the window. I took the door panel off and manual lifted the window up into place. Tomorrow I'm going to try to take out the motor and arms and see if I can figure out where it is catching. Like you, I suspect that some teeth are jumping/slipping. I'll let you know if I figure something out.
Hi, I ended up replacing the mechanism with a used one I picked from a yard; I was not able to figure out why it did the noise. I only salvaged the motor, which works fine, and kept as a spare. Now window works just fine. Good Luck.

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-01-2020 at 09:50 PM.