Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning a MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cleaning a MAF sensor

Has anyone had any luck cleaning a MAF sensor on a V8 and if so, what did you use?

Mine is reporting a code (P0102) that says MAF sensor "low" and the fuel consumption has become even more awful than usual!

thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 03:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 847 Likes on 617 Posts

Yes, a lot of people have cleaned the MAF on their DII. What did they use? Most who did it successfully started by using Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum - Search Forums.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:29 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
Has anyone had any luck cleaning a MAF sensor on a V8 and if so, what did you use?

Mine is reporting a code (P0102) that says MAF sensor "low" and the fuel consumption has become even more awful than usual!

thanks

I've never known anyone clean them to last longterm as they are a hotwire measurement system and very fragile. There are cleaners but by the time they register a code they are often past cleaning or refurb but sometimes a clean works short term but rarely the MAF sensor lasts too long. Be very careful what you use to clean the wire and never handle the wire. There are spray products available for this cleaning process. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
Yes, a lot of people have cleaned the MAF on their DII. What did they use? Most who did it successfully started by using Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum - Search Forums.
allow me to re-phrase the question:

"Has anybody had any success with cleaning their MAF sensors? I previously ran a search on this forum and found lots of references to MAF cleaner spray, a product which appears to be unavailable in the Middle East".

Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
There are cleaners but by the time they register a code they are often past cleaning or refurb but sometimes a clean works short term but rarely the MAF sensor lasts too long. Be very careful what you use to clean the wire and never handle the wire. There are spray products available for this cleaning process. Good luck.
Thanks. MAF cleaner spray appears to be unavailable here in my part of the UAE so I'm going to try it with electrical contact cleaner then rinse with alcohol and see what happens.

Last edited by Richard Moss; 03-24-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Moss

thanks
I was having a p0734 code showing up and someone suggested to replace the MAF.. Bought one off eBay but in the mean time I clean the old one w brake clean and and the issue went away. Unfortunately I started getting a#4 cyl misfire immediately after. Go figure! Not sure it's related but today went to install the new MAF and the fpos isn't even the same diameter.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Yea, the eBay MAF doesn't work, even if you switch the sensor into the new housing. eBay sensors in general don't work. You've got to get the actual Bosch part, sadly.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Susvman
I was having a p0734 code showing up and someone suggested to replace the MAF.. Bought one off eBay but in the mean time I clean the old one w brake clean and and the issue went away. Unfortunately I started getting a#4 cyl misfire immediately after. Go figure! Not sure it's related but today went to install the new MAF and the fpos isn't even the same diameter.
Eeeerrr, never, ever try to clean the MAF wire with brake cleaner or carb cleaner I would guess it's now f------d permanently unfortunately. Both brake and carb cleaners are far too aggressive corrosives for the delicate MAF wire.

There is only one MAF worth fitting and it's the OEM Bosch part which usually lasts for many years but often the spurious copy parts never last even a month most times.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I'm guessing a new MAF is going to be a bit expensive? Where do you get them... AB, Lucky8?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Order from Advance Auto's website and pick up in store. They've got a pretty good discount on their website (top banner) and it's the best deal I've found.

Quick Reply: Cleaning a MAF sensor