Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat is Shot; To Paint or Not to Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts
Default Clear Coat is Shot; To Paint or Not to Paint?

Redrover was not garaged for a few years, and because the roof rack was in the way the roof was not waxed regularly. I can't say for certain whether or not waxing the roof would have made a difference, but what I can say for certain is that the clear coat has failed across much of the roof.

If bad paint was limited to the roof I might ignore it more easily since the roof is not as visible, but the bonnet on the truck is from a boneyard truck and the clear coat is failing on it too.

I've gotten a couple quotes to have the truck repainted and they're $3,000+ (including some very minor bodywork). Yikes! I don't know that the truck is worth that much!

I've been told that the cost of the red paint is one of the factors. I was told two gallons would cost $900+.

I could go with a low-end paint job that might be <$1,000, but from what I've been told the low-end paint job won't last more than a few years.

I could also just leave the truck as-is, but I'd like it to look better. I'd appreciate any well-informed suggestions, information, or advice. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

I am in the same boat. Mine is white though so from 15 feet it looks ok. The roof however shows bare aluminum. I’d paint it but it’s too tall to fit in my garage. I would like to hear from a couple of people that have done it or had it done and how they feel about the results.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 413 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
I am in the same boat. Mine is white though so from 15 feet it looks ok. The roof however shows bare aluminum. I’d paint it but it’s too tall to fit in my garage. I would like to hear from a couple of people that have done it or had it done and how they feel about the results.
The roof is actually showing bare...steel. Not aluminum. Might want to get that coated so it doesn't rust.

It obviously depends on what you want to do long-term with the truck. If keep for a long while, paint. If anything just for corrosion protection. If it's just a mule that you'll drive into the dust, don't paint.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
The roof is actually showing bare...steel. Not aluminum. Might want to get that coated so it doesn't rust.

It obviously depends on what you want to do long-term with the truck. If keep for a long while, paint. If anything just for corrosion protection. If it's just a mule that you'll drive into the dust, don't paint.
Glad you told be about the roof. Clock is ticking I guess.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

I was looking at doing something for my roof. Kind of running out of money now but has anyone looked at getting a vinyl wrap for the roof? https://www.rvinyl.com/vinyl-wrap.html

Old 10-05-2019, 05:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I recently had everything BUT the roof vinyl wrapped. I'm going to have the roof painted instead.

That is a massive area for UV sun baking, so I'd rather have true paint there. Just my $.02

Old 10-05-2019, 06:16 AM
Winching
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Plasti-Dip the the option I went for for my P38 with the same issue. Benefits are it's very cheap. 3 cans will get the job done. Doing the top black is now more common. Example the new Defender has an uncharge for a black roof. It can be removed if you don't like the results so the risk is only about $20 and an afternoon. Lot's of videos on Youtube.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

The vinyl wrap is an interesting idea, but I don't know what data there is about how it holds up long-term. I'm also curious about what it costs. Plasti-Dip for the roof is also an interesting idea, and I suppose I could get a black out vinyl for the bonnet.

What I hoped to hear was from people who really understand paint about the pros and cons of the less expensive paint jobs.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
The vinyl wrap is an interesting idea, but I don't know what data there is about how it holds up long-term. I'm also curious about what it costs. Plasti-Dip for the roof is also an interesting idea, and I suppose I could get a black out vinyl for the bonnet.

What I hoped to hear was from people who really understand paint about the pros and cons of the less expensive paint jobs.
If you're only painting your vehicle and you're willing to put in the time, consider doing it yourself with a foam roller. You can get results comparable to the economy paint jobs for far less. This is especially true if you're just doing the roof and hood in a different color than the rest of the body.

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/craig-...eum-and-roller

Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 447 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
I recently had everything BUT the roof vinyl wrapped. I'm going to have the roof painted instead.

That is a massive area for UV sun baking, so I'd rather have true paint there. Just my $.02

Looks amazing! Did you do it yourself in your garage? I am considering it myself, although the paint is still in good shape, but I don't like the color and it would conserve the original paint.
I saw a video where the roof was done with vinyl too. Of course, it requires removal of the roof bars.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat is Shot; To Paint or Not to Paint?