Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear fluid in pass foot area

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clear fluid in pass foot area

I have a 99 discovery 2. Bought it in June this year and have had a clear water leak in the right front passenger foot area on the dog house side. Seems the leak is from the vent area just under the knee bolster. Looks like there is a drain tube back there but this is comming down the carpet side of the mat, possibly out the vent right there... It appears by the Service Manual that what is behind the vent is the heater core. I must assume the clear fluid is not a leaking core.
Just another note on this, the fluid when found after extended a/c use is very warm. Any ideas?

I hope this is a separate issue, but, in heavy rainafter sitting.... I have water dripping out of the rear a/c vents in the roof area. The truck has two sunroofs and as a background in Japanese vehicles, I know the source of this is the sunroof. I found the front sunroof seal distorted and loose, the rear seems ok. Would blocked drains be the cause here?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: clear fluid in pass foot area

Sounds like the A/C condenser drain is plugged. Underneath the truck, under the dash area on the passenger's side is a rubber drain tube. Squeeze it from an arm's length distance to clear the blockage and a bunch of water will drain out. This should solve the problem.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are 2 a/c drains in the front. One on each side.

The sunroof thing is common and the drains do get clogged. You can blow it out with low pressure air, but be careful not to blow the tube off, or you will have to drop the headliner.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the replies! I just blew out the drains and will get a new seal for both sunroofs - front one is distorted as mentioned and figured the rear could use it. I also cleaned the condensordrain, seemed clear, but very loose fit on the housing.

Thanks again for you time and knowledge!

I will probably repost this later, but, theturn signals are not working whenthe truck is cold. Seems very strange to me,in past experienceswhen they stop working, they just don't work. When the heater and cabin warm up the signals work normally. Just a note here, the hazard blinks normally when cold and warm. Any more ideas?

You all have been a very big help! I had codes for the O2 sensors and immediately knew where to look for them. Ordered them for alanticbritish.com and had very good results!

Just realized I had one more issue to tackle. The driver seat heater does not work. The light comes on in the switch, the relay clicks under the seat. I am going now to look for a thermostat but not sure where it will be. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Replace the turn signal flasher. Have you ever seen one of those flashing warning signs in the country for a turn in the road? Out by my grandparents, you can tell when it is freezing out because the light is constantly on....no flashing. The Hazards should have a different flasher so the turn signals will flash independantly.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Mudding

Thanks again! You have been a huge help. I will put the flasher unit on my shopping list for Rover. I have to say, these little repairs are happening more often than with my Nissans, but this rig is awesome! Everyone coments on it and I love to drive ANYWHERE!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the world of Rovers Little repairs will be a way of life now (and some big...i.e. my current driveshaft issue...oh, by the way...lube your u-joints...promise me you will...)! Even after all of my trials with my trucks...I still fix them...and still love 'em!

Take care!
Shannon

Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

As for your front water leak, if you haven't been using your a/c chances are that either the front w/shield trim or seal have failed which will allow water to come in during a rain.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Mudding

I think I have repaired the front leak, found the right A/C drain slightly plugged and very loos fit on the box. I will have a look at the windshield and water test it soon (raining lots here in Portland.) I have been keeping it under cover because of the leak in the rear cargo area through the upper A/C vents over 3rd row seats. Which brings another question: how many drains are in each of the sunroofs and where are they?

I have looked and can't find the sunroof drains, at this point I will pull the headlinner and make sure the drains are attached and work well. I just was hoping to avoid this by finding them in the sunroofs. Ideas?

Thanks for all the advise! I have a strong mechanical background in Nissans, but these are a TOTALLY different breed.

Shannon, I will have a look at the driveshaft in the morning. I have no idea if it has lube points on it right now, but will make it serviceable if I have to - I promise. Your story has me wishing I had looked at it before now. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

There are 2 drains for each sun roof. If you are carefull and only use low air pressure, you may be able to blow the lines out. The other possibility is that one of the lines has become disconnected from the sun roof assembly cause water to just flow in and thru the headliner.
And yes, get your drive shaft rebuilt, better that then buying a new tranny and or t/case.
Good luck,