Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just so we are all on the same page there are only 2 true full synthetic motor oils, those are Amsoil and Royal Purple.
Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Penzzoil etc. are all mineral base stock oils with full syn modifiers and wear additives.
Diesel oil is the same base stock as Mobil 1, for example, but does not have synthetic modifiers just heavy duty ones.

It is the base stock that matters most, the additives boil off and wear out, that is what causes sludge, all the additives boiling off and collecting inside the engine.
The base stock never wears out but depending on the quality of it will depend on how well your engine is protected after the additives are gone.

I stopped using Mobil 1 and went back to diesel oil.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Amsoil is a PAO base, just like mobil 1 and RP's regular line. What you would call the only "true" synthetics are the racing line from Redline and RP.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam coming out of Air Conditioning vent/ door will not open

Made another road trip from Laguna to Crested Butte in Colorado, noticed hot water dripping from below the dash and steam coming out of the ac vent just right of the radio, is this a easy fix, maybe a loose hose?

Also the result of slamming around on washboard dirt roads the passenger door lever will not work from the inside, is something loose can I fix it myself?

Clicking started to go away I put 10 w 40 mineral with a quart of Lucas additive. Drove a hard 3000 miles time to change oil again.

2004 Disco Trail

Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The water you have dripping into the cabin is from the a/c drains.
Crawl under your truck and find them and clean them out, if not then you will gte mold in the carpet and the floor will rust.

Dont use oil additives.

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

Synthetics

Despite their name, most synthetic derived motor oils (ie Mobil 1, Castrol Formula RS etc ) are actually derived from mineral oils - they are mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas. PAO oils will mix with normal mineral oils which means Joe public can add synthetic to his mineral, or mineral to his synthetic without his car engine seizing up (although I've heard Mobil 1 is actually made by reformulating ethanol).
The most stable bases are polyol-ester (not polyester, you fool). When I say 'stable' I mean 'less likely to react adversely with other compounds.' Synthetic oil bases tend not to contain reactive carbon atoms for this reason. Reactive carbon has a tendency to combine with oxygen creating an acid. As you can imagine, in an oil, this would be A Bad Thing. So think of synthetic oils as custom-built oils. They're designed to do the job efficiently but without any of the excess baggage that can accompany mineral based oils.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_b...#ixzz0uYgSnzJg

Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac water dripping

thanks I will give it a check this should be a easy repair.