Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clicking Sound

I noticed a ticking sound today as I drove around that I can't quite figure out. It sounds like it is coming from the engine but increases with road speed and not engine speed. Then when I step on the brake the sound stops until I release them but I can still hear the sound when at a complete stop. I was thinking a CV joint or swivel ball but it makes no sense that I would still hear it when I'm stopped if that were the case.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

PS I'm really tired at the moment so I hope my description makes sense.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Clicking Sound

Sounds like a heat shield that is loose maybe?
When was the last time you put fresh plutonium in your flux capacitor?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:31 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew that darn flux capacitor was going to be a problem. Time to replace it with a nuclear reactor I guess. I'll replace the kanuter valve at the same time.

Since it is nice here in Phoenix I have been driving a lot with the window down and the sunroofs popped up. It's been awesome to have warm weather in January. Since I heard the sound yesterday I haven't heard it again. I was beginning to think that it was a u-joint starting to go but I checked them all and none seem to having problems. I actually heard the same sound back in December before having my head gaskets replaced so the mechanic checked out the lifters and rockers for me while the engine was apart but didn't find anything. Yesterday was the first time I heard it since mid-December.

Needless to say I am really stumped on this one. The fact that it is intermittent doesn't really help.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AK Rover

I knew that darn flux capacitor was going to be a problem. Time to replace it with a nuclear reactor I guess. I'll replace the kanuter valve at the same time.

Since it is nice here in Phoenix I have been driving a lot with the window down and the sunroofs popped up. It's been awesome to have warm weather in January. Since I heard the sound yesterday I haven't heard it again. I was beginning to think that it was a u-joint starting to go but I checked them all and none seem to having problems. I actually heard the same sound back in December before having my head gaskets replaced so the mechanic checked out the lifters and rockers for me while the engine was apart but didn't find anything. Yesterday was the first time I heard it since mid-December.

Needless to say I am really stumped on this one. The fact that it is intermittent doesn't really help.
I'm with Spike on this one...flux capacitor all the way

or your blinker fluid is low...those two are the most common

I learned to diagnose problems from Sloppy

Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you checked to make sure one of the spring retainers on one of your brakes has not come loose?
What are you doing in Phoenix when we are having such great snow here???