Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk in my trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunk in my trunk

After installing a OME 2inch lift of my 2003 Disco HSE with the RTE SLS spacers in the rear (DiscoMike made me feel better about that decision). I've got OME 751 springs in the front and just those spacers in the rear. I'm also running OME shocks that originally came with a 2inch lift kit from RTE (I think they've switched to all bilsteins now on their lifts... I'm probably wrong about that) lift. I'm unsure of the model/part number on those shocks.

Anyway, my dilemma is this. The front feels great, does a great job. The rear however is CLUNKING when I go over some stuff that causes the back end to drops out. It feels like I have no suspension back there. If I'm going slow over stuff it doesn't seem that bad, but if I hit something with a little speed and the rear extends it feels like the whole axle just drop out to it's full extent and slams against something.

What I've done:
Working with DiscoMike I found out that I didn't have the airbags adjusted properly, the rear was a inch lower then the front. I got that sorted and took her out. Clunk clunk clunk.

After some research I've come up with two theories. 1.) My rear shocks are too short and they are "bottoming out" effectively ripping themselves apart. So I need to replace the rear shocks. 2.) I was looking at the "watts linkage" on RTE's website (http://www.rovertym.com/watts.htm) and wondered if this was my problem.

Anyone have this problem after lifting?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Default I have pictures

Due to the overwhelming response to this post over the past few weeks. I thought I'd add a picture, showing the model number of the shocks I have and maybe someone can suggest a different model with more travel. I've talked to OME and they say, "The ones you have should work". Clearly they are not working (and didn't work on a friend of mine's Disco with a 2 inch lift either) .

This is what is on there.

Thanks, OME and a variaty of resellers have been less then helpful. So I'm hoping someone here has had a similar problem and can help me with it.

Thanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails Clunk in my trunk-img_0481a.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe you got a bad pair of shocks?
Do you have a rear sway bar? How are the bushings in it? Are they still good?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I am running the the same shocks with out any problem.
Send me your tele number and before we talk, measure the front and rear tire, ground to the lower wheel well trim.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys. Maybe these are/were defective shocks. They did the same thing of the Disco I got them from. He had a full RTE lift though no spacers. We figured it was that. I'm not sure how to check the bushings if you even can. No sway bars etc in the rear. It's all stock except the spacers and the OME shocks.

Mike, thanks. After we "leveled" it I was right at about 36 1/2 - 37 inches front and back.

Mike, which Disco (in the pictures on this site) are you running this setup on?

Thanks again,

Brian