Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Clunk Sound

Starting yesterday, I've developed a clunk sound in the rear end when turning. At first it was fairly quiet and I thought a shovel was shifting when I turned. I secured the shovel and the sound was still there. Today it is much more pronounced. It happens when turning. The sound is definitely coming from the rear end. I just crawled under there and checked everything for movement. I couldn't find anything that would account for the clunk. I really don't need a new problem right now. What do you think it could be? Thanks.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can, climb underneath and get someone to push the rear end from side to side. Pay close attention to the Watts linkage system. There are lots of parts that can wear out and cause knocking and clunking sounds only when turning and articulating.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
Starting yesterday, I've developed a clunk sound in the rear end when turning. At first it was fairly quiet and I thought a shovel was shifting when I turned. I secured the shovel and the sound was still there. Today it is much more pronounced. It happens when turning. The sound is definitely coming from the rear end. I just crawled under there and checked everything for movement. I couldn't find anything that would account for the clunk. I really don't need a new problem right now. What do you think it could be? Thanks.
The center bearing on the watts linkage is most likely your culprit. As said above, your best bet is to have someone rock the truck while you crawl underneath and visually inspect the area circled in red.

Attached Thumbnails Clunk Sound-watts.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling

I've pretty much come to the conclusion it's the watts linkage bushings. It only happens when the weight shifts. It doesn't have to be a turn really, just a weight shift. As for turns, a series of turns in the same direction only makes one clunk as long as the weight doesn't shift back between turns. I think that eliminates the differential. The watts bushings are not cheap if you replace the whole set, around $300. I'd sure like to just replace one bushing if it's the center one.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If you want to save money, just find a used linkage on ebay or at a wrecker. It'll be anywhere from $20-75 for the entire system and anyone could unbolt the thing and put it in. Brand new parts are very expensive and very hard to replace unless you buy the entire unit. your call.

The following users liked this post:
Colorado David (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks. I'll try that first.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can also get just new Land Rover replacement bushings on ebay also like $80, no need to buy the complete assembly

Old 09-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

As insurance and peace of mind. You could Disconnect your sway bar and go for a drive. If the noise persists - it's your watts bushings.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
you can also get just new Land Rover replacement bushings on ebay also like $80, no need to buy the complete assembly
True. Needless to say, You would need the Bush pressed in.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi David, it's rare all of the Watts bushes fail together usually just 1 or 2. You can usually see the offending bush by jacking up onto axle stands or put the truck on a ramp and you can test by moving the bodyshell from side to side. Pressing out the old bushes is a real PITA and a job for a hydraulic press, minimum 15-30 tons depending on your luck. Pressing in the new bush is usually far easier but best done on a press. Keep well clear as 20-30 tons is a lot of stored energy.

Of course the 'clunk' could be shock absorber bushes worn out, infinitely simpler to change.

Quick Reply: Clunk Sound