Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ski Rack and 'weeping'?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ski Rack and 'weeping'?

I just purchased my first Land Rover, first car on my own for that matter, a 2003 Disco SE7, got a good deal and I've always wanted to own one. The car was well maintained, average miles(63500) for the age.

My two questions are I need to put a ski rack on it, somewhere but with the roof design and two sunroofs I'm not sure where.

My second is that all of my friends that own Rovers and Disco's agreed that there might be some 'weeping' oil which to me sounds like a leak. I looked over everything at the dealer and there wasn't anything noticeable but what should I be looking for or to do in the coming months given the mileage.

I'm excited and could hardly sleep last night, I've probably wasted more gas taking friends around for 'victory laps' than I should have but any advice would be great.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Ski Rack and 'weeping'?

Just make sure you use a good filter like a K&N or Mobile 1 so you don't get any drain back and dry starts. Synthetic oil is better, but you can't extend the drains. %K is the longest you should go on an oil change. One thing to watch is your oil pressure. Early built 2003 models had a flaw in the oil pump. I would say you shouldn't really worry about it, because it would have shown up before 63K.

Did you get service records? Odds are the 60K service wasn't done and it is a biggie. You can go by your local dealer and have them print the records for you, and if you are handy, there is a list for the 60K service on here that is pretty extensive.

Lastly, look at the front driveshaft. If the 3 U-joints do not have grease fittings on them, have it re-built soon with U-joints that are serviceable. If one locks up, it will slap you tranny out of the truck....

Welcome, I still remember the feeling. Actually, I still get it every time I replace a part on mine, so it is pretty constant.....

Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy
Lastly, look at the front driveshaft. If the 3 U-joints do not have grease fittings on them, have it re-built soon with U-joints that are serviceable. If one locks up, it will slap you tranny out of the truck....
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've seen this advice given a few times over the course of the few days that I've been registered here as probably the #1 advice given to anyone who has just acquired an Disco...

...as my forum name entails I am noobie when it comes to most engine/mechanical work and I was wondering where the best place to go to do some research on firstly how to identify where the u-joints are (yes I am that noobie) and then to distinguish between serviceable and non-serviceable ones...and then how to replace them and lastly where the best place to get them is and how much they usually run for.

...help a noobie out

...btw I'm running a 2004 SE7.

...and on-topic...congrats on the disco skibum!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out this link..... https://landroverforums.com/m_43901/tm.htm

It shows the U-joints. There should be little nipple-like things you use to shoot grease in. Should be able to google a driveline shop in your area. They can do it for under $200. If you have never done U-joints, much less a double cardan joint, you should let someone do it. You can save a few bucks by dropping the shaft yourself and taking it in, but it will require a few things first. I would suggest you find a local shop and get a quote from them....

BTW, you have the best year in many people's opinion. A 4.6 mated with a locking diff..... I want your truck.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Mudding

I have a Yakima rack on my disco and it sits very high (on top of the original factory rack). It has the advantage of being locked onto the factory rack with locks that look a bit like the ignition lock. The disadvantage is that no keys for it came with the truck so I didn't bother to do much about it. I am told they are supposed to be very good racks but I don't need one so I am looking to remove it and sell it at some point. I went to the Yakima website and they explain how to get the locks off and replacement keys etc. but like I say I have not done it as yet.

Where do you ski?

Alan

Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Mudding

You could go with a rear mounted ski rack on the hitch or spare wheel. Or you can buy a set of crossbars for your roof rails...I'm sure you're familiar with Thule or Yakima for universaltype crossbars.I just bought these genuine Land Rover cross bars for my '03 SE: http://landrover.niello.com/accessor...mp;category=55

I like that they are sleek with an aerodynamiclow profile design and specially made for the Disco II. They do not intefere with the operation of the sunroofs in any way and you can posistion them in such a way that the bindingson your skis do not obstruct the sunroofs either. I have a set of Thule"clamp" style ski racks that I will be installing when I go skiing.

The LR crossbarsare very high quality (better than my Jeep's) and they look very integrated with the truck. The only detractor that I can tell is that there is a quitenoticeable increase in wind noise with the skylight(s) open. With the skylights closed you can hear a slight whistling noise, but you wouldn't notice if you were having a conversation or listening to the radio. I would guess that the wind noise on the aftermarket crossbars to be worse as they don't seem to be as sleek and aerodynamic looking...but I'm just guessing. One good thing about aftermarket crossbars is thier universal design andyou can often transfer them to other vehicles.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, Skibum... I don't have any input as to your ski rack, but I hope you enjoy your 2003 SE7 as much as I have enjoyed mine. These vehicles will treat you right as long as you treat them right. I just recently rolled over 100,000 miles and I'm sure there's at leastanother 100,000 left in her.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:25 PM
5th Gear

I bought the Yakima lowrider mounting systems with 58" crossbars. It increased the wind noise (most notably with the sunroof opened) so I added their optional wind fairing. All but eliminated the noise. Unfortunately it rests on the front sunroof. I still crack it open but wont completely open it unless I tilt the fairing up out of the wayfirst. (Kinda of a pain but the fairing gives the car a great look)
$200 without fairing. 250 with.
Check out
http://yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=144
for more info

Good Luck

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Overlanding

Thank you so much the welcome and information guys, I look forward to asking and learning as much as I can from people that like my rig as much as I do!

I plan on going over the u-joints,service records and every button in my cockpitduring the upcoming 4-day weekend and with the dusting of snow we got today having heated seats on the way intothe officewas nice.

I'll definitely look into my options on the ski rack and I'm thinking about going off the trailer hitch first and then to the roof.

As for the ski bum-ness, emphasis on skiing, I stick to Keystone, A-Basin and I am one of those crazy back country guys you seehitch hikingupHighway 6 when you'reheaded over the divide.

For the colorado pass holders remember that next week Keystone is open 36 hours straight, if you've never hit the slopes at 2am after last call at the bars it's a trip and I'd highly recommend it!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Mudding

Bear in mind that when you use a hitch type ski-rack, you can't open the rear door...spare wheel mounted rack is more convenient...unless you get a flat tire [&:]But the odds of that happening are slim.