Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes 1175 and 1172 ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes 1175 and 1172 ?!?!

So my 02 Disco is having some "minor" problems. I say minor because it's still going! (i love my disco btw). Anyways, so my buddy hooked up his code reader to the car the other day and we got back 1175 and 1172, I haven't been able to really pin point these codes online anywhere, butI stopped by a dealer and they said the car was running rich/lean, but no way to tell for certain till they checked it out! Right, so I decided to do my own trouble shooting, having thought ok, it might be an 02 sensor (but which one?) or it could be that the "air injection" is dirty. So pulled it all apart (found some dirt from last weekends off road adventure). Turns out, the air intake has a small crack in the pipe. Looks like (previous owner) tried to change the air filter and snapped part of the piecing off. Terrific .. but to replace this particular part of the air intake you need to get a new "air filter housing" because thats the part that has the small end piece that is broken. ok ok I digress... so my question is this. Do you think it's the 02 sensor or the air intake? Yes, I am getting decreased milage by almost 75 miles! (ususally get 375 before the light goes on). NO, the car does not smell like rotten eggs, NO, the car is not having a hard time excellerating. Which makes me think it's the in take and not the 02. Any thoughts on these issues? knowing it's Christmas I don't know who else is out there. I just want to have a slight advantage over the shop tomorrow before I roll by ... also. Does anyone out there advise of buying the needed parts and then showing up at the shop? haha. I know it sounds cheap, but I just got the car out of the shop last week for a $500 repair! and it's christmas time! I love my car, but man alive it's eating me out of house and home! Also any thoughts on taking the truck to tahoe with such an issue? 600 miles round trip from the bar area. All my friends have volvo's and beamers ... ha like those car's will make it = P

- Mark

02 Discovery II 58,000 < It's still a baby!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Codes 1175 and 1172 ?!?!

Your air intake leak can throw those codes and a new one will probably fix it. Just get the part and install it yourself, most shops won't install owner supplied parts.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Overlanding

Hey jkid, thanks for the reply. I was going to try this today. But, assuming it was the previous owner who did this and I bought the truck back in July and put 6K on the thing ... wouldn't the light have gone off sooner? OR did the car just realize it has the problem?

Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

As a temporary fix, is it possible to use some duct tape or something to seal the broken air intake? I don't see why your Rover won't make it. I made the 1200 round trip from Colorado to North Dakota and back with my check engine light on for a bad O2 sensor with no problems. Pretty much if the Rover has fuel, air and spark it will keep going.

The air intake should be a pretty simple swap once you have the parts. Of you go to a shop that is part of a chain such as Napa Auto Care or somewhere like that they have contracts to use only parts from their suppliers. Independent shops generally are more willing to work with you and would rather make the money off the labor than turn you away because you got your own parts. The mechanic I use in Colorado had no problems with installing parts that I purchased elsewhere and brought to him.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Overlanding

duct tape not a bad Idea ... I found the part I needed, just the top of the air filter housing which will fix my hole for $68 on other side of the bay. Not too bad. But the 1175 code is getting to me, could be a loose vac hose, or the 02 sensor. Which I am begining to think is the heart of my problem. But if the air intake is cracked ... well thats got to be fixed too. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't know what is broken, but maybe it has gotten worse since you bought the truck causing it to throw codes now. 58k miles seems kind of early for O2 sensors to fail, I'd put money on a bad MAF sensor before O2's.The MAFmight have been contaminated with dirt from the intake leak and bypassing the air filter (don't bother cleaning it, that will kill it quick). I think that those codes mean the computer is trying to compensate for an air/fuel ratio problem caused by unmetered air getting in. I'd start by fixing the intake leak, maybe try some silicone sealant or something.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Overlanding

ok quick update on the Rover. So before I went online for advice, a friend of mine suggested cleaning out the MAF! Did that yesterday afternoon. Drove the truck up and down a mountain ... where we live can be quite the safari. Then to Kragens, oh mean while called Land Rover for the parts, no one had them in stock. Got a new air filter, put it in. Started it up, drove maybe 5 feet. 3 amigos! turned the car off, back on ... gone. Drove down the street stopped short for a light. boom! 3 amigos! Turned of the car off, back on, gone. Off to the dealer I go. Got to the dealer went inside, got yelled at for blocking the service entrance, moved the car ... "Check Engine Soon" light, no where to be seen.?!? Drove home another 30-40 miles at hwy speeds 70+ not a thing. Stopped short a few times, used sport mode, not problems.

So ... do you think it was just a dirty air filter all along? I know someone mentioned "I think that those codes mean the computer is trying to compensate for an air/fuel ratio problem caused by unmetered air getting in" I haven't tried to seal the leak up yet, but it's super small and for the most part covered by the tube once back in place with the MAF. Any thoughts on the change of events ... also any worry about having used a bit of MAF cleaner on the sensor?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, you probably temporally fixed the maf sensor by cleaning it so it could measure the airflow again. I've cleaned my sensor before and it got rid of the check engine light for a while, butit came back eventually with even more codes. I would fix the intake leak, especially if you wheel it and get dirty. That may be what did your maf sensor in in the first place.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Overlanding

ok, so temp fix and then more codes? what did you have come on after that? I just want to get an idea so I know what the deal is. I'm going to order the part and put it on before making the trip to tahoe. I don't plan on going 4 wheeling in the snow, but with all the dirt on the roads I don't want that to get into the in take. Any other thoughts suggestions? I didn't spray too much into the MAF. Should I look at getting a new one?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you try and clean a BOSCH MAF or use a K&N air filter you will be buying a new MAF.
Sorry but thats just the way it is.
Put duct tape over the hole and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Codes 1175 and 1172 ?!?!