Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes gone, but still failed inspection... odd

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Codes gone, but still failed inspection... odd

I got all the codes to go away, replaced the headlight bulbs etc, thought I was good to go through inspection. I was worried about the chips in the windshield and the brush bar across the lights but they didnt seem to care. But, I failed, and for a surprising reason.

Everything passed, but I failed for overall readiness: Cats, EVAP, O2's all are reported as "Not Ready" on the DMV slip. OBD connector, communications, MIL status, missfire, fuel system, SAI and O2 heaters all say "Ready".

Now, I don't have any codes, nor any pending codes... and if I hook up either of my 2 OBD2 scanners, I can read data from the o2's fine. its off at times, but I'm getting data... but the DMV guy says he's getting no data from the ECU.

any suggestions?

ps. also on the printout I noticed that they list recalls for the car, and it lists 8 different ones. Now, its s 2000 Disco with 101k miles and I'm like the 3rd or 4th owner I think (gotta look the history report again, cant find it currently) is LR still responsible to cover the recalls? One actually even says ABS Modulator (RB148), On board Diagnostic Software Update (RB167) and SLABS EXU replacement (RB263) which I'm most interested in now, seeing as I have 3 Amigos and apparently the ECU isn't "reporting for duty" for emissions testing...

Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
I got all the codes to go away, replaced the headlight bulbs etc, thought I was good to go through inspection. I was worried about the chips in the windshield and the brush bar across the lights but they didnt seem to care. But, I failed, and for a surprising reason.

Everything passed, but I failed for overall readiness: Cats, EVAP, O2's all are reported as "Not Ready" on the DMV slip. OBD connector, communications, MIL status, missfire, fuel system, SAI and O2 heaters all say "Ready".

Now, I don't have any codes, nor any pending codes... and if I hook up either of my 2 OBD2 scanners, I can read data from the o2's fine. its off at times, but I'm getting data... but the DMV guy says he's getting no data from the ECU.

any suggestions?

ps. also on the printout I noticed that they list recalls for the car, and it lists 8 different ones. Now, its s 2000 Disco with 101k miles and I'm like the 3rd or 4th owner I think (gotta look the history report again, cant find it currently) is LR still responsible to cover the recalls? One actually even says ABS Modulator (RB148), On board Diagnostic Software Update (RB167) and SLABS EXU replacement (RB263) which I'm most interested in now, seeing as I have 3 Amigos and apparently the ECU isn't "reporting for duty" for emissions testing...
This is one of those rare instances when I say visit the dealer...they can run your VIN and see if any of those recalls (assuming factory recalls here) were done on your DII.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like even though your SES light isn't on, there are stored codes in the system, and you need to put a certain amount of miles on the truck to cycle the system to reset. I'm sure this system is in place so you can't wait in line at the emissions place and clear the codes right before you go through, and get away with it

How long ago (how many miles ago) did you clear those codes?

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 04-19-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, you made the codes go away, but you didn't fix anything, what did you expect.
As for the recalls, there may be 8 recalls out there for D2's but they are based on vin. numbers. Go have the dealer do a print out and take it to the DMV, yes, by the way, if there is a open recall, Rover will pay for it.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i didnt say i cleared the codes i fuddled with the wire harness for hours lol, replaced fuses, cleaned connectors etc. and theyve never come back, where before they would come back nearly instantly after clearing them... and the o2 data before when the codes where on were constant .445 (no signal) pre and post cat, and the SAI didnt work (fuse 2 would always blow when replaceD) and that hasnt happened since either. *shrug*

its been over a week and a half id say since i last cleared them, plenty of on/off cycles, and im not reading any pending codes either.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

They are not cleared till the ECU says they are cleared.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
....its been over a week and a half id say since i last cleared them, plenty of on/off cycles, and im not reading any pending codes either.
It's not on/off cycles that will clear the ECU, it's based on mileage....go drive

Old 04-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

wouldnt they still show up as pending if it still thought there were issues? but it didnt fail for codes or pending codes or MIL functionality? just sensor readiness... which doesnt make sense to me because they are all reporting data now that fuse 2 stopped blowing up.

ill go out later after work and record some data for you all to look at. only thing out of the ordinary is the idle speed and o2 data stream reporting oddly sometimes but i havent found any baselines to compare.

(ps got your message but still at work)

Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

alright some updates... seems the o2 data is fine in closed loop, but once it goes open, thats when the data goes to ****. the o2 readings at idle go .0xx... on both sides of the cat, at some times i noticed they where .000. if you give it some gas (~1500rpm) it goes up only slightly to .090-.100ish but if you give it more, say 2k rpm it jumps to .7-.8 then fluctuates back down through .4-.5 before dying back to the sub .0xx range. i fuddled with the wires a good amount where i found to be the most likely suspects for cross grounding when getting the maf and SAI to work, with no difference in coding. chances are the o2s are just completely shot, and have been...but not enough to throw any additional codes? or is that to correct range they should be in? she runs much better it seems above 1.5-2k rpm, and the idle drops to 600-640's when loop changes and o2 data goes goofy. fuel trim is reporting 25% but im not sure if it means rich or lean, but im guessing lean on this one.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't matter what the readings are, the ecu will not give dmv a readiness status until a certain amount of miles have been driven since any codes being cleared. Usually about 100 miles. If your not getting any codes, go drive an hour each way on the highway, and go back to the inspection.

Quick Reply: Codes gone, but still failed inspection... odd