Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes gone, but still failed inspection... odd

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by souljad9
It doesn't matter what the readings are, the ecu will not give dmv a readiness status until a certain amount of miles have been driven since any codes being cleared. Usually about 100 miles. If your not getting any codes, go drive an hour each way on the highway, and go back to the inspection.
I/M readiness is not based on mileage at all. It is based on driving patterns. Google "OBDII Drive Cycle."

Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
I/M readiness is not based on mileage at all. It is based on driving patterns. Google "OBDII Drive Cycle."
Excuse me for over simplifying it. I guess I should have stated that on average, driving about 100 miles in varied conditions should be more than enough to reset all the readiness flags. The process of driving through traffic to get to the highway, driving highway speeds, getting off the highway back into city traffic, getting back onto the highway, driving back to where you started, and then driving in traffic to the inspection station, after already driving there once, should hit all the drive cycle requirements.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same readiness problem, and followed the advice of putting miles on the car a few months ago.....after 1000 miles they were still "not ready"...yes 1000 miles

i replaced the MAF and all monitors were ready within 20 miles.

not saying thats your problem...just what worked for me

Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by souljad9
Excuse me for over simplifying it. I guess I should have stated that on average, driving about 100 miles in varied conditions should be more than enough to reset all the readiness flags. The process of driving through traffic to get to the highway, driving highway speeds, getting off the highway back into city traffic, getting back onto the highway, driving back to where you started, and then driving in traffic to the inspection station, after already driving there once, should hit all the drive cycle requirements.
I corrected your information because "should hit all the drive cycle requirements" may be the case for you, but by far not for everyone. It really depends on where you live and where the inspection station/work/etc. are. For example, I would never get an I/M ready status diving to work and back....and the inspection garage is on my way. I have literally driven around for 6 months or more without I/M ever going ready on some vehicles. I simply don't make the criteria for the highway portion of the drive cycle. This is important information to know for someone who is trying to get their I/M ready and doesn't know anything about the drive cycle.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2001 disco. I exactly have the same problem. before the inspection I had the amber service the engine soon light on so after the diagnoses P0171 and P0174 codes came out. I've checked the hoses and changed the maf sensor and reseted the system. I have driven about 200 miles.service light didn't come up so I took to inspection. they hooked it up on diagnoses machine. all the codes gone but failed the inspection due to an overall readiness result since CATLYTIC CONVERTER , EVAPOATIVE SYSTEM AND OXYGEN SENSORS are NOT READY . what should I do next in order to pass the inspection any sugestions?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearing the code might put the light out--for now--BUT
The ECM/PCM needs to "read" the systems which controls the functioning/control of the OBD2 system. Those systems are called the monitors.

Depending upon the model/platform in question there can be as many as 7 monitors involved.

To do a re-learn to hopefully close the monitors you need drive the vehicle through the drive cycles so that the system can read all the sensor activity and IF the everything falls into place like complinace & the the fueling map etc etc it will close each monitor as it falls individually into system compliance.

If the system is not operating to compliance it will start with a pending code and only throw a hard code after going through some start cycles.
This often happens after a cold soak when the system gets working and recogizes a fault is in the making. The exception to this rule is the Sec Evap system which won't close at altitudes above 7000 ft.
Colorado residents face this problem from time to time and even LR has had issues with new Range Rovers on this.

The OBD2 E test apart from IM240 etc has been formulated to prevent fudging of E test values by the public at large and incompetent repair shops.

Obviously you have either not taken the vehicle through its drive cycles , not done a cold soak start up test, or simply not fixed the problem which are instantly being recorded in Mode 6 of the OBD2 system. That in turn leads to pending codes and then to hard codes and mil lamp on!
A fully functioning system closes each monitor but normally you are allowed one monitor open prior to an E test for it to pass.
Hope that helps you.
Amistades
T/V

Old 05-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi tuercas viejas, as far as I know, provided the recalls haven't been done already for a previous owner and they apply to your VIN number there is no time limit on those recalls and you shouldn't have to pay anything towards them. This is what I glean from the UK LR situation but whether that applies worldwide I can't say. Good luck as it might solve your amigos issues as well.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:54 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well as far as I am able to glean from the situation late Range Rover models climbing up over the Continental Divide to the ski slopes would cause the Sec Evap system to drop out and the monitor would cease to function.

Then on the decent back to the Denver Metro area (basically at 5500') the system would come back to life, be confused and throw a code.

LR had a crew of development engineers working out of the local dealers recently to correct the issue which was basically programming.

In any case its always worthwhile to note that the sec evap system won't monitor at higher altitudes and I suppose that must apply to places like Switzerland & Bolivia where the highest road is at 18700 ft outside Potosi.
BUT in any case this is for non US spec systems where there is much less controls parameters unless of course you are driving a late model NAS spec Landrover in Bolivia!
In any case few Americans venture south of the Mexican border in cars fearing the worst. So its not a problem!

Unless of course you have George Straight attitude!
So as a transplanted Brit in France here is something that might make you smile!
Enjoy
T/V