Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil to Air Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coil to Air Conversion

This might sound crazy, but I'll explain what I'm thinking and let you decide.

The SE7 I own had Air SLS from the factory. Before I bought it, someone did a conversion to springs. I don't have a lot of info on it, so I'm guessing it was done when the original set of bags started leaking. I'm pretty certain that it was the bags that were leaking, as the pump still runs when it detects that the rear suspension is compressed. I even get air out of both of the leads that would screw into the bags, and they seem to hold pressure against my thumb. When I press the switch on the dash, it try to fill them up to the off-road level. So recap, I think there is nothing wrong with the rest of the system.

Since it it an SE7, when you have people back there, that pump will always want to run, and I know it must kill my departure angles. (I'm gearing up for a good summer of a bit more advanced off roaring, because I didn't have much time after getting this put together to get serious about it last year).

Since I'm already thinking about doing a 2" lift and putting 265/75/r16s on, I was thinking that maybe I should go back to SLS and get some 2" spacers. That way I can have my cake and eat it too: I'd have the 2" lift, bags that keep the suspension at the right level even with a full crowd, and I can even use the function to give me a little more clearance.

So what am I missing? Is this a bad idea? Also, I've seen a bunch of spacers, what ones are best for my low-medium budget? I think that $170 is the best price I've seen per bag, anybody know of something better? Or have some nice used ones to sell? Any little mounting parts that I'm missing since they took out the bags?

Thanks guys!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is seems as if everything is there, im surpised you dont have a dash light, seeing as the compressor has power.
If your going rock climbing they are out, they will will fail.but for trails and such they should be fine.
Some people like it, other hate it.
I have 99 & 00 both on original bags, but they only go off road a couple times a year, unless you count 8 feet of snow.
I would suggest not going with the cheapest bags. Try arnott they are sponser with a discount. With there gen 3 bags you may not need spacers so that $ towards good bags

Last edited by drowssap; 05-01-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends completely on your use/preference.

As drowssap mentioned, if you do a lot of wheeling, you will find the airbags will be a liability.

If you do a lot of towing or hauling heavy loads back there, SLS is great.

I had SLS and switched to coils because I just wanted the reliability and less worry. It obviously doesn't ride as nice, but we don't drive it that often and when we do we're not usually on the pavement so that wasn't a big concern.

So simple answer to your question, are you crazy for going back to SLS? Absolutely not. But that is one more system/component that *could* have problems. haha and as I'm sure you're familiar with 4 rovers, if some *could* have problems, it usually does

Old 05-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, and if you do go back to SLS you'll need to make sure that you have the sensors to detect the bag height. Also, you might need to get your BCU programmed to turn the air on. Although it sounds like it was never turned off....

Old 05-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
is seems as if everything is there, im surpised you dont have a dash light, seeing as the compressor has power.
If your going rock climbing they are out, they will will fail.but for trails and such they should be fine.
Some people like it, other hate it.
I have 99 & 00 both on original bags, but they only go off road a couple times a year, unless you count 8 feet of snow.
I would suggest not going with the cheapest bags. Try arnott they are sponser with a discount. With there gen 3 bags you may not need spacers so that $ towards good bags
Can you point me in the way to get that discount? Is it a code you punch in? Their webpage, for anyone else interested, is:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...id4_pid48.html

I don't rock climb (yet), and my dash light only shows up after I've pressed the "off road mode" button and it can't inflate the suspension. :P

Originally Posted by bballjames
Depends completely on your use/preference.

As drowssap mentioned, if you do a lot of wheeling, you will find the airbags will be a liability.

If you do a lot of towing or hauling heavy loads back there, SLS is great.

I had SLS and switched to coils because I just wanted the reliability and less worry. It obviously doesn't ride as nice, but we don't drive it that often and when we do we're not usually on the pavement so that wasn't a big concern.

So simple answer to your question, are you crazy for going back to SLS? Absolutely not. But that is one more system/component that *could* have problems. haha and as I'm sure you're familiar with 4 rovers, if some *could* have problems, it usually does
I have four rovers: one to drive, one for parts, and two to dream about building as I repair my daily driver. :P Since this is a winter vehicle/daily driverish, along with additional passengers from time to time, I think bags could be really nice.

In addition, I have all the parts for a coil conversion, so I can always go back temporarily/permanently in the event of a failure.

Originally Posted by bballjames
Oh, and if you do go back to SLS you'll need to make sure that you have the sensors to detect the bag height. Also, you might need to get your BCU programmed to turn the air on. Although it sounds like it was never turned off....
Yep, it's very much still on. Also, the sensors seem to work as well, since it only tries to inflate the bags when the rear is compressed in some way.

Last question: is there any little parts that would have been removed with the bags when converted into springs? I know in the air-to-springs kits they have a little spacer to hold the spring.... anything like that, bballjames, when you took out your bags?

Thanks everybody!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
The following users liked this post:
KinverTurtle (05-04-2015)