Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:03 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Coil Pack Relocation

Just installed a relocation kit today. Not completely yet. The other side fender is in the sun and its too hot to jump in the bay. Kingsborne Wire installed with bright yellow color which is now dirty. I did an installation video and will post tomorrow.

I did the last Ultraguage reading before installation.

Here is how the bright yellow cable looks like.

Cheers!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Looking sharp gerry

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Just installed a relocation kit today. Not completely yet. The other side fender is in the sun and its too hot to jump in the bay. Kingsborne Wire installed with bright yellow color which is now dirty. I did an installation video and will post tomorrow.

I did the last Ultraguage reading before installation.

Here is how the bright yellow cable looks like.

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2017, 03:03 AM
TReK

Here is the install video.

The following users liked this post:
OverRover (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I want this kit. Let us know when it's all available.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Mskembo
I want this kit. Let us know when it's all available.
Just let me know in advance when you are ready. Thank you

Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 PM
TReK
Default Follow up about Misfire Codes

So, did the relocation yesterday and having consistent codes pictured above for 2 weeks. Yesterday and today I totaled 117 miles driven, many stops along the way and here are the codes that was left (pictures below) Now I only have to deal with 2 persistent codes. Could be injectors or MAF. The ones left have different opinions and mostly unsolved in the forums. Please share your experience with these twin codes P1174 and P1171. thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 05:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:04 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had those codes and they cleared up for good only after I change the fuel injector o-rings.
Best to jump the fuel pump relay to check that the new o-rings aren't leaking before you put the plenum back on.
Don't ask me how I now.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Gerry's kit is available now. You get the 8mm wires separately from Kingsborne: Gerry convinced them to make a set specifically for this application.

I just installed it yesterday. So far, so good.

Other than the fact that the numbering of the wires doesn't match the cylinders (I cut off the numbers as they were confusing me), the install is excellent. Here are pictures of my relocation using blue wires.

My only feedback to Gerry would be to ask Kingsborne to make the wires for cylinders 1,3 and 5 about an inch or so longer to allow for a little slack and otherwise make the routing around the compressor/throttle area a little easier/cleaner. (the wire for cylinder 7 had plenty of slack, as did the all 4 wires on the near side of the coil pack bracket for cylinders 2,4,6,8).

BTW, once the coils were relocated, it was a breeze to swap out the "new" coils I had purchased from Lucky 8 (aka LRParts on eBay) and go back to the original 13 year old Bosch coils I had replaced a few months earlier while I had the upper and lower intake off doing a valley gasket replacement.

Once the coils were relocated, it took all of 10 minutes to perform a coil swap out -- compared to the hours and lost skin it would take to remove them from the factory firewall location -- and it fixed the misfires my son had been having since installing the "new" coils. Why a swap-out of new coils? It turned out the "new" coils from Lucky 8 were apparently defective. So far, Lucky 8 hasn't responded to me much less offered me a refund, so, even though I got 90% of my complete engine rebuild parts from them, my advice would be to get your coils from someone else lest you go thru all the frustration I have -- who would have thought not just one but two new coil packs would be bad.

Attached Thumbnails Coil Pack Relocation-coil-pack-1.jpg   Coil Pack Relocation-coil-pack-2.jpg  

Last edited by austinlandroverbill; 07-25-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

BTW Gerry, to your question about P1171 and P1174 -- I was so busy gushing about your coil relocation kit that I forgot to weigh in on that -- I think I've had those same codes and corrected it with either a new "Hyundai" purge valve or by fixing a vacuum leak at the valley gasket.

If you need to make a "smoke tester" I can give you instructions on how to build one for less than $20. It was invaluable in identifying the valley gasket leak right away.

Last edited by austinlandroverbill; 07-25-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Coil Pack Relocation