Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack Relocation (For much easier access)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coil Pack Relocation (For much easier access)

Has anyone though about or successfully relocated the coil pack from in back of the plenum to a much easier location for replacement.

I'm thinking about mounting it on top of the plenum between the runner. Not sure if the room is available but will look into it.

The following users liked this post:
Robertmcell (09-19-2023)
Old 05-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you need to deal with your coil packs often enough to make relocating them, modifying the wiring harness to extend to the coils, and making up custom plug wires to properly fit something that is worth the time money and possibility of problems later.......you're probably doing something wrong.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Winching

I would agree with that. Just thinking outside the box which I know usually mean $$$$$.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I help changed the plugs and wires on a buddy's V8 Toyota Land Cruiser last night.....I am not going to lie....I was overly jealous at how easy it was......lol

My Magnecor 8mm arrived in the mail yesterday. I am seriously lacking motivation after doing that Land Cruiser because of the totally stupid *** placement of our coil packs in the Rovers.....

Last edited by sloan74; 05-20-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sloan74
...... I am seriously lacking motivation after doing that Land Cruiser because of the totally stupid *** placement of our coil packs in the Rovers.....
My Magnecors have been sitting in the box in the garage since October for that exact reason

Old 05-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Winching

I don't know how anyone does them without removing the Plenum!!! I'm not a big guy and it's difficult to get to the coil with the Plenum off. Sure would be nice to place it in a location that doesn't require many cus workds to change your stinking plugs.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Winching

There is a post here that helps,

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...oving-im-9657/

But trust me, as inviting as that post is, it's still a pita...lol

I am going to do it without removing the manifold. I have gone back there before, last week actually, to plug a wire on that fell off. It sucked, but like anything, after fiddling with it, you get use to working in a tight space (where to come in, put your hand etc). It will take time to do all 8, but I will suck it up and do it I guess...

Last edited by sloan74; 05-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i hear you...

I hear you..i too have thought about relocating it..but like every other thing on these trucks is just plain " F$cking stupid" so i would have to rebuild and relocate everything on this truck....I think they had in mind that they where catering to rich people who dont work on there trucks so why not make it time consuming to be able to bill $$$$ for a stupid task a blind monkey could do...

Anyway. I did my daughters about 4 months ago and did not remover anything...Yes, i am a lazy *** and hate to conform to something so F$cking stupidly designed and let them win.. I layed a moving blanket foled over 3 times so it was super paded on top of the engine. I had a diagram of the coil pack and it went pretty quick. I took a large screwdriver and poped off the wire ends at the coil starting at the top and working my way to the bottom. I then reversed by starting at the bottom out side and worked left to right one by one.It was a little tight but took me no more than 15 minutes . You have to lay on top of the engine on the blanket when you are doing this. pretty easy.. Give it a try and i did at night so it wasnt 100 degrees out...

Have fun, Chris

Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Winching

Yup I had to crawl on top as well to do that one wire. I will make sure I drive the truck in the garage versus doing it in the driveway, so no one sees me and thinks I am trying to make love to the engine with the blanket....haha

Old 05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oh yea...

Originally Posted by sloan74
Yup I had to crawl on top as well to do that one wire. I will make sure I drive the truck in the garage versus doing it in the driveway, so no one sees me and thinks I am trying to make love to the engine with the blanket....haha

For sure... My wife looked at me and told me i was really hopelesss...

She is the smart one of the bunch as she wont get in a LR now...

Last edited by vandev; 05-21-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Coil Pack Relocation (For much easier access)