Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Pack replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavreel
Thanks for the info on this guys...i'll be doing this as well this weekend.
im trying to get this squared away this weekend

Old 12-31-2010, 04:44 PM
7th Gear

thanks
Originally Posted by disc5995
search for coil pack to see "Replace Wires Without Removing IM". I replace coil pack this way, but have spend a lots of time trying to remove coil pack individually, it is easier to remove the "coil pack mounting bracket" first, rotate the bracket to get access to six bolts on the two coil packs.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM
7th Gear

thanks for the tip

Old 12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
7th Gear

i guess i have to wait for a few days according to the rules. thanks tho

Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
3rd Gear
Default Coil

I just had the check engine light go on and I hook my computer up to it and it showed the #4 cylinder misfire. This is a disco 2 Would it be the coil ?????

Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
4wd Low

sure wish it was warmer out in my garage to do this....with my luck and skill level this 3 hour job's gonna take all day

Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Mudding
Default Head Gasket

Originally Posted by wrongway22
I just had the check engine light go on and I hook my computer up to it and it showed the #4 cylinder misfire. This is a disco 2 Would it be the coil ?????
Hi WW22, start the engine, let it idle and pop the "bonnet".
Squeeze the upper radiator hose; checking for excess high pressure, remove the coolant reservoir cap very slowly to release pressure. Then put your nose close to the reservoir opening, cup your hands around the reservoir opening and your nose and inhale, if you smell exhaust your head gasket is blown at number four cylinder.

From what I have read here when a coil pack goes bad it will affect two cylinders, also if the fault clears and sets intermittently its more likely a plug, lead or the head gasket. Bad coils are most generally hard failures except under extreme temperature swings.

Keep in mind; I am an idiot and could quite possibly be completely out of the ball park but I did have the same symptom and after a new set of plugs and wires the problem persisted, worsened and eventually became more than evident and I did verify the head gasket was blown at number four.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 PM
4th Gear
Thumbs up

Just finished a coil pack, wire, plug job. What a chore! I am beat-up! Those that say they can do it without removing the IM, I'm throwing the BS flag. If you have tiny hands, maybe, but not under 2 hours! It's a real pain lying across the engine in this cold weather. Take your time, it'll take you a long day or 2 leisure days with beer! Todd in Lyons,Colorado, 2002 Kalahari

Old 12-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

How are things in Lyons? Is life back to normal after the floods?

I started to do coil packs and wires a couple of weeks ago. I had the time but the day started out at 2 degrees. It warmed up to 8. My truck doesn't fit in the garage anymore. I will try again on New Years Eve when it may reach almost 40.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

David, Lyons is still F**CKED. Maybe 200 houses gone for good! Look at Youtube, you'll be amazed! We were lucky, maybe $10,000 in damage but we have a home to come home to. Several friends have nothing. So sad.

Off to your Discovery. Take your time. remove the intake. Make note of where everything goes. I broke both vacuum ports on the pass. side of the intake manifold. Cheap plastic which is not cheap to replace. I'm torn-up! No clearance and having to lay on the engine to get to all of this stuff! When I went to start the engine Sunday it wasn't running good at all. My code reader said missfire on 8563. I was depressed and tired. After a couple of martinis I realised that was one of the coil packs. Sure enough I climbed back on top and saw the main coil wire was undone. A little long screw driver work I got it plugged in. Runs like a top!
I'm bruised, bloodied and sore, but labor on this job ranged from $800-1400 plus parts! I feel pretty good. Too bad it happened in the winter. Weather here was in the 50's so that point didn't hurt

Quick Reply: Coil Pack replacement?