Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

A
Originally Posted by Extinct
I would start with checking the compression on those cylinders. Then swapping wires 1 to 3. Then maybe plugs. If it still did not swap the misfires, I would then swap injectors. Leaking injectors on those cylinders?1 Plugged injectors?
Ive never done a compression check. Injectors were actually my next option to start checking out. I wanted to actually clean, maybe rebuild the injectors and when I did the coils and wires I just didn’t have time to do it.

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-10-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling

I changed the bank 2 downstream O2 sensor today. I could not get the bank 1 down stream loose so I’ll have to try that later. But it still running rough and the codes have changed up a little bit.
I drove it quite a bit and that 1300 code did not reappear. Only the 0301, which was the original code, was not a pending code.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Here’s a couple pictures of the old plugs that I pulled. They look to be fairly new and in good shape to me. But again, I’m not an expert on spark plug diagnosis. The only one that was slightly different ways cylinder one the ceramic was a little darker than the rest. Number five looked a little bit different also.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bcurtman
So, I mentioned in my thread that my o2 sensors had the orange connectors, which match the harness ends. Does that mean they were original yet? Is it normal for a sensor to last over 100k?
158k on this Disco.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Just thinking out loud...can the crankshaft position sensor cause any of this? Clogged cats???

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-10-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Spark plug #1 looks like it is running a little rich, but not so much as to cause a misfire. Is it a completely dead cylinder on #1 or only a random misfire. I once had a Disco with low compression on one cylinder, ran fine but would throw a misfire code on that cylinder. I never took it apart so not sure what the cause was but the compression test showed it to be ring related, not a leaking valve. Have the heads been off? Your pending codes make it look like the entire bank is misfiring, which is odd because of the coil arrangement. If it is the entire bank and they are random I would begin to suspect injectors, although I have never had bad injectors in the all my 12 Discos. You easily pop the upper intake off and swap injectors left to right.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Spark plug #1 looks like it is running a little rich, but not so much as to cause a misfire. Is it a completely dead cylinder on #1 or only a random misfire. I once had a Disco with low compression on one cylinder, ran fine but would throw a misfire code on that cylinder. I never took it apart so not sure what the cause was but the compression test showed it to be ring related, not a leaking valve. Have the heads been off? Your pending codes make it look like the entire bank is misfiring, which is odd because of the coil arrangement. If it is the entire bank and they are random I would begin to suspect injectors, although I have never had bad injectors in the all my 12 Discos. You easily pop the upper intake off and swap injectors left to right.
I would have to guess that the heads have been off, the top end is way too clean and the gaskets look good.
It looks like it’s all on bank 2. With random code 0300. Then all the cylinders on that side pretty much throw a code. Drove it again this evening and all cylinders but 5 threw a code. I think injectors May be next.

Last edited by Daytoman; 02-11-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

check that you don't have a coolant leak from the throttle body heater that is running down the valve cover and dripping on the bank 1 O2 plug. this was happening to me and causing misfires on the bank one side on one of my '04's.

also, check the wire loom on the passenger side that runs below the alternator. make sure it is secure and not resting against the exhaust manifold, where it can melt and cause misfires.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (02-12-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jastutte
check that you don't have a coolant leak from the throttle body heater that is running down the valve cover and dripping on the bank 1 O2 plug. this was happening to me and causing misfires on the bank one side on one of my '04's.

also, check the wire loom on the passenger side that runs below the alternator. make sure it is secure and not resting against the exhaust manifold, where it can melt and cause misfires.
checked and checked.

I ran Seafoam through the intake and no change. Checked engine ground and even added one, no change.
Still throwing the following::

Old 02-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Have you checked compression on that side? Do that and report back. Low compression will throw misfire codes. Is it a hard misfire that you can feel, or feels like it runs fine?

Quick Reply: Coil replacement.