Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather problem / mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cold weather problem / mods?

My 2000 D II makes strange noises at start up when temps start dropping, the noises start appearing at around 5 to 10 below farenheit and the noises get worse and last longer as it gets colder.
One noise seems to be coming from the tach area and goes away after the interior warms up.
The other noise I have no idea where it's coming from (haven't done any checking yet) but sounds like groaning, this one goes away relatively soon after start up.
The rear door lock doesn't want to unlock when it's cold. I would guess the mechanism needs some lube that won't thicken up when it gets cold but I haven't looked into it yet.
Any ideas on what's causing the noises?
Any suggestions on mods specific to Disco IIs for cold weather?
It already has a frost plug heater and an oil pan heater, I block off part of the radiator in winter as well.

Last edited by Sub-arctic Rover; 12-21-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Does your rover have SAI system? This system runs a air pump, mounted to firewall - passengers side, for a few minutes after start up. It can seem quite noisy, until you get use to it.

Welcome, to the Dll gang.

Brian.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

There is a temp sensor with fan just left of the steering wheel that can make noise. The groan could be a pulley that is unhappy with the cold.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
There is a temp sensor with fan just left of the steering wheel that can make noise. The groan could be a pulley that is unhappy with the cold.
Mine did this. A shot of compressed air from a can might help

Old 12-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

My power steering pump gets very noisy as it gets colder.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Drifting

Thanks for all of the replies.You guys are awesome! I have some good places to start now.
My D2 does have SAI. I take it the pump making noise is nothing to worry about?
The noise near the tach sounds like a noisy speedometer cable to me. Does that sound like it could be a temp sensor fan? I take it I can get to it to lube it with something cold weather compatible. Maybe some Tri-Flow?
A pulley making the groaning noise sounds like a good guess. One of these days I will open the hood before I start the truck. I am driving another vehicle right now. It's difficult to have ambition to go out in sub-zero temps to work on vehicles any more, I'm getting a little bit older and I've lived in Alaska for 30 years. I mind the bitter cold a lot more than I used to................................................

Old 12-22-2018, 05:26 AM
Camel Trophy

Yep, the SAI air pump kicking on for a few minutes after start-up is normal...and so is the noise. Now, if it is extremely noisy...the pump could be going bad. But, truthfully...it is a bit noisy to begin with...and takes some getting use to.

If the idler pulleys and tensioner are all original...just change them, along with the belt. They have certainly out lived their life cycle and are an issue waiting to happen. 9 times out of 10...this is what causes an overheat issue...and causes serious damage to the engine. Idler or tensioner fails, takes out the belt and the next thing you know...temp guage is in the red! Lucky 8, British Atlantic, Rovers North, etc...all have kits that contain all three items, tensioner and two idler pulleys. It's cheap piece of mind, to know they are not going to fail anytime soon.

Just reading about the temps up there...made me throw an extra blanket over myself here this morning...lol.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 12-22-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Drifting

Good information to know.
I'll have to do a little investigating, look through the receipts I have and see if I replaced them already. I'll also open the hood and listen on start up. I rebuilt the engine about 9k miles / 3 years ago. I may have replaced the pulleys and tensioner then. $110 from Lucky 8. You're right, it's cheap insurance.
I would think if they were going bad they would make noise at warmer temps too but maybe not. I don't want to have to do another rebuild soon.
I may just leave it parked until March or April, my Toyota doesn't mind the cold.
It has been a little chilly up here. This time of year I think about moving south.....................................
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Yep, winter in Michigan can offer its difficulities (extreme cold).

Was talking to the young gal at the grocery store and mentioned moving to a warmer cilmate. She said, "Wouldn't you miss having a white Christmas?" I'm like..."After 58 of them, l'm good with never seeing another white one."

Stay warm up there!

Brian.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Thanks Brian.
Have a Merry Christmas!
Brett