Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colorado shops or mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021 | 10:46 AM
|
Mudding
Default Colorado shops or mechanics?

Bought myself a 04 LR disco 2 a few weeks ago, thinking I could take it to a shop and get the valve cover gaskets and O2s connector repaired...come to find out either the shops are a month out for new work, or don't return phone calls at all. So, I kinda feel like I've gotten myself in a jamb due to ignorance, and am hoping the guys here may have some info on a good mechanic that may be looking for some side work, or a good shop that can help? I'm embarrassed to say that I never realized when buying a LR that this could be an issue, and as this is my only vehicle now, I need to get it fixed up asap. Am I asking for to much, or should I cut my losses and sell this thing now? Really love the way it drives and feels, was looking forward to driving it for many years, just didn't know that getting things fixed on it was going to be such an issue...
I've called Road Werks, British 4x4, and Dave's European so far. First two haven't returned my calls for 2 weeks, last one has no availability for at least a month. I need to get this thing running for a road trip in the next two weeks to help family in Michigan. Any info or insights is welcomed and appreciated...

Last edited by Mntnceguy; 09-21-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2021 | 11:35 AM
Pro Wrench

Roadside Werx is the only place I would take my trucks, if you call them again tell them Will sent you. Personally would not take my trucks to JC's British and I've had terrible luck with non LR shops even on generic work. They (roadside and JCs) were all out at the land rover rally in Moab last week and were super slammed the week prior to prep trucks for that. Neither of those repairs should stop the truck from functioning fine just fine. Valve covers usually don't gush oil, some seepage while annoying is not detrimental to the vehicle. You can also try and tighten the 4 bolts you can get to without removing anything (will need a 12pt socket however). Just make sure to check oil level frequently (that goes for all fluid levels on big road trip with a newish to you vehicle) The O2 sensor will throw a code but will not stop anything from running smoothly.

Pretty much any rover shop is slammed these days as LR's have become much more popular of late and a lot of restoration work is being done which can eat up shop time in a big way.

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021 | 12:00 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks Will, that explains a lot. I've never had so much trouble getting a business to answer a phone or return a call, so knowing they've been out 4 wheeling makes way more sense. I don't want to drive it 2000+ miles across country with the O2s not working. The valve covers aren't leaking all that bad, but it's easier to replace the O2s wiring connector (its destroyed) on the drivers side with them removed and more access, so that's why I figured I'd do them both. Thanks again for the info, and the name to drop if they ever do get a chance to call me back...

Old 09-21-2021 | 12:01 PM
TReK

Doing the PCV mod should help relieve some crankcase pressure and reduce oil leaks. Check the sticky at the top of the D2 forum to find out more about it.
I've seen threads on here about repairing connectors. That seems like something that's going to be regarded as fiddly and a bit of a hassle so I don't know how many places would be likely to try to do it anyway.

Mntnceguy (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021 | 12:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Extinct's daily non of his O2s work and haven't for quite some time if I remember correctly and he's very well regarded in terms of disco knowledge. I have driven one of mine for maybe 20k miles before I fixed the connector with no issues. It's really not that big of a deal if that is your only problem. Now needing to pass emissions is a different story....but it won't hamper your drive assuming everything else is fine. I'd give Roadside another call, I was there yesterday to pick up parts so I know they are all back.

Mntnceguy (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021 | 04:19 PM
Rock Crawling

x2 for roadsidewerx. great guys. I've bought many great parts from them. they seem like the real deal.