Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerns with not driving D2 often

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 02:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerns with not driving D2 often

Is there anything to know about not driving the D2 often? This car is just a car I will use every three weeks or so.

Is there concern of the battery dying or the car becoming immobilized ?

should I just unplug the battery until next time I use the car?

Old 04-21-2021, 03:03 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I often don't drive mine for a couple of weeks at a time. When I had a weak battery it would go flat and I would need to charge it to be able to start it. There would usually be some of the related issues such as limp mode, but other than that, no problems so long as you can unlock the door with a key.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@Aj6543 I have a slow drain to figure out myself, I just pop a charger on there. Mine sits for 5 or 6 days at a time

Old 04-21-2021, 09:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Mine is primarily a weekend camping rig, and we don’t go camping every weekend. To that effect I try and drive it once a week in to work to get everything up to temp, boil off any moisture in the fluids, and get everything rotating. Sometimes I’ll pop it in to 4 Low as I enter the parking lot just to move the linkage and get the transfer case operating in a different mode. I have a small battery drain issue that wouldn’t matter if I drove it every day or every few days but it’s just a bit too high for me to let it be for a week so I’ve installed a battery quick disconnect on the negative terminal and disconnect it if I know its going to sit for more than a few days (which is most of the time). My truck doesn’t sit in a good place for me to have a battery tender on it, which would be the ideal alternative.

The big downside is that I have to A) Change my settings in my aftermarket radio every time, B) Make sure I don’t forget to turn the HVAC back on (I just keep it in Celsius, for that worldly flare) and C) I’m probably suffering a little bit fuel economy wise as the computer doesn’t get a lot of time to “learn” before being disconnected.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:06 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Last year my D2 sat a lot. Around 3 weeks of sitting the battery would be pretty low. Now I put it on a solar charger when ever its sitting for 2 weeks. Fires right up and no low voltage issues.

I do have a dash cam that runs when the D2 is parked until it senses 12v. So that speeds up the voltage drop when sitting.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

We've got a spare 04 that sits 90% of the time, garage kept. Usually drive it once every three or four week during nice weather months, ten miles, just to splash some oil around in the axles, transfer case, trans and engine and charge battery and get rust off rotors and exercise calipers. Four weeks seems to be about the max for sitting and mainaining enough battery to start...so...during winter months when it never leaves garage...charge battery once every four weeks.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by greisinb
The big downside is that I have to A) Change my settings in my aftermarket radio every time, B) Make sure I don’t forget to turn the HVAC back on (I just keep it in Celsius, for that worldly flare) and C) I’m probably suffering a little bit fuel economy wise as the computer doesn’t get a lot of time to “learn” before being disconnected.
There used to be a small 9v battery adapter you could plug into the cigar lighter and it would backfeed enough juice into the system to save the radio and the HVAC settings when the battery was disconnected. Not sure about the ECU.