Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

condenser cooling fan motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default condenser cooling fan motor

Hello, all,
I'm a newbie, but have read a lot of the threads and learned more than I thought possible! This is a great aide to keeping the Disco's going!!
My question: I've noticed the condenser cooling fan motor has gotten louder lately when running. Is it possible to lubricate the motor with something like 3in1 Oil? If so, where would you put the oil?
Thanks!
PS: mine's a 2004 Discovery II.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i did not see any place on my 2000, just replaced it.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

When it fails (which will be soon) you won't have the extra cooling needed when slow or stopedm especially with AC on. So engine could overheat. A $80 electric motor is a lot cheaper than the gasoline powered aluminum one under the hood.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM
4th Gear

Roger that on the $80.00 electric motor!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Make sure whatever you buy it equals or exceeds the factory fans flow rate.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

See my write-up on "Does your A/C condensor fan work"? The motors are available at some of the local big chain auto part stores. If yours has been siezed up as my were for sometime, any replacement motor is going to be an improvement. VDO brand at O'rielly Auto is what I used and they are great.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
See my write-up on "Does your A/C condensor fan work"? The motors are available at some of the local big chain auto part stores. If yours has been siezed up as my were for sometime, any replacement motor is going to be an improvement. VDO brand at O'rielly Auto is what I used and they are great.
So you used the VDO p/n PM9115 on a DII? I seen a thread on the discoweb site but that guy had a DI. If that one will work on my DII pep boys has them for 46 bucks.

I also ran across another thread where someone used a ac delco p/n 15-80341 they got off amazon for 76 bucks.

Mine is locked up also. thanks

Old 09-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GreedyRover
So you used the VDO p/n PM9115 on a DII? I seen a thread on the discoweb site but that guy had a DI. If that one will work on my DII pep boys has them for 46 bucks.

I also ran across another thread where someone used a ac delco p/n 15-80341 they got off amazon for 76 bucks.

Mine is locked up also. thanks
Here are the details from my write-up. It is a PM9116 and I have the box beside so I know this is the one. You will need to remove a bit of plastic from the backside of the fan so it doesn't rub on the shroud as described below.

I search around looking for the Part Number to replace the electric motor. XRacer or RacerX had suggested that a Four Season 35110 motor would work. So I ordered one from Advanced Auto Parts for $71.00 delivered knowing if it didn't work the most I'd be out is $10 buck for shipping. Had some problems with the order and wanted to get the job done so I called O'reilly's and they told me the Siemens VDO brand PM9116(also available from amazone for $63.00) was the same and that they could have me two unit the next day so I placed the order and they met the price of Advanced. The VDO unit looks identical to the stock motor removed and I would suggest these over the others listed. I also ran across thes PN's after the fact on another forum AC Delco - 1580341 / NAPA- BK 6552105 /.

On the install, using a dremel tool and a drum sanding wheel (Pic atached), you'll need to sand off about 1/16" off the back side of the plastic fan hub material because the new motors shaft is a bit shorter and the fan will rub on the shroud if you don't. You'll need to cut the connecters off your old unit and install on the replacement motor. Red and Black are commonly Positive and white and Blue tend to be Negative. If you get the polarity incorrect, the worst case is your fan will spin the wrong way. After you get it wired up make sure the the fan is moving the air toward the engine. If your not sure take a paper towel and see that the fan wants to suck it in. If your motor is sieze you've also blown your #5 40amp fuse located in engine compartment fuse box. From start to finish your looking at about and 1.5 hours on this job.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for all the info! When mine dies, I'll know where to go and what to do. As I said earlier, I learn more on this site than I thought possible!!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call paul grant. i just bought 2 used from him for my d1 cheap. they work great.

Quick Reply: condenser cooling fan motor