Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirm this possible bad HG and make me cry

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
These things are magic for checking inside engines through the spark plug hole or the diesel injector hole Borescope Inspection Camera For Automotive Engines - YouTube. Also good for inspecting inside gearboxes and axles. I have one that plugs into my laptop computer. They are another toolbox essential for seeing places on an auto.
And for the price of two of them you can have a whole new engine.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by primussucks
Harbor freight sells one for less than $200.

I'm tempted each time I see it....

Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Harbor freight sells one for less than $200.

I'm tempted each time I see it....
Same here, especially when it is only $90.

Inspection Camera - Save on this Digital Inspection Camera

Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a leak in the HG between the water jacket and the cylinder #2.
Putting in Barr's leaks make the Discovery at least better until I could get the head off of it.

Right now -
you have antifreeze going in the oil.
You have antifreeze going into the cylinder and into the catalytic converters.
Will ruin the cat and the O2 sensors.

On my D1 - same engine as far as the heads - same problem.
I had antifreeze leaking from the intake gasket into the top of the engine under the valley gasket.

You probably have these two issues too.
You just need to start tearing it apart.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by primussucks
I don't know where you are looking to buy from but you can get an adequate boroscope for less than €45................. You must have cheap engines!

I have use boroscopes of different diameters with led lights in them, one 6mm dia and one 12mm dia and the latter also works via my laptop on full screen. The pair were less than $100. They can even record video and still pictures. They are even cheaper from China or Hong Kong online.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

borescope $69.00 in the harbor freight sale flier, works great waterproof also

Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok an update and thicker plot on this one. I got tired of poking around and took it to a local mechanic who has done work on other cars for me (though not always cheap I trust the guy). He did a compression test and exhaust gas test and ruled out a head gasket, at least from a combustion standpoint though I still can't see how a HG could possibly fail and mix coolant and oil without going through the cylinder.

Now I'm back to where I was previously, losing coolant fast but being my only vehicle meaning I have to change my oil every like 200 miles instead of the usual intervals before the oil gets too alkaline and eats up my main bearings.

I've replaced the valley pan gasket though it didn't show signs of leaking in the old one, and there is no change in the new one so I don't think that's the issue. As mentioned in an earlier post, I changed the front cover gasket a few months ago but the oil was clean for a while after that change before it started leaking. Is it possible that failed?

Basically I'm wondering, where are ALL the possible oil/coolant leaking + mixing points in this engine? I've done all the obvious it seems.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Baja

I have admit I did not read the whole post, but have you try a cooling system pressure tester.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well a pressure tester will certainly show a leak (because there is a leak) but it is internal so I wont be able to see where it is leaking from anyways.

He wants it back for a few days to try and find the leak but I'm not going to pay a mechanic to have my truck for DAYS if there's some stupid obscure thing these engines have that I haven't looked at yet.

These things dont have an engine oil cooler do they? I don't remember ever seeing one but I know that's a big leak point for any vehicle with one.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Baja

depend upon the year I think it stopped in 2002, you say your leak is internal but it is not showing up in a H20 test?
so I would think it would have to be a crack in the behind the liner that drains into the oil pan which is unusual .... or the front cover has several bolts that go thru water passages, did you put sealer on the bolts when you replaced the front cover?

Last edited by drowssap; 01-02-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Confirm this possible bad HG and make me cry