Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conflicting information ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conflicting information ...

I bought a 99 Disco II about 5 weeks ago from the local BMW shop that was said to be a one owner vehicle that was well taken care of ... I have confirmed the one owner part; not sure about the well taken care of ... no service records. Anyway the sales manager gives my the assurance that it was a very clean truck which is why they kept it on the lot instead of wholesaling it ... because there reputation isn't worth risking on a high mileage (140k) inexpensive used vehicle. I bit and really liked the way everything looked to my unknowledgeable eye so I traded my pickup in ... it was basically an even swap as I had $6000 equity and I got them down to $6400. My goal was to have something that I liked sans payments; so far so good. I ordered valve cover gaskets, new magnecors, plugs, synthetics, yada yada. Plan on doing the 60k service plus valve cover gaskets as soon as it all arrives from RoverConnection.

So last week I decide to take my 99 Disco II in to a tranny/driveline shop to get new u joints because I've heard a slight whine at higher speed and read too many horror stories on this site. The 3 Amigos light up on my way to the shop (go figure). The place says they normally use ones from Carquest but this time ended up getting the ones from NAPA because Carquest doesnt have the right ones in stock. When I go to pick it up the guys tell me that it is leaking like crazy out of the transfer case and front diff. ... even say that the front diff was overfilled as if someone knew it was leaking and trying to prevent it from running dry before it sold. They tell me the thing is so jacked up that it would cost $2k to fix the leaks and they can't guarantee that I won't need a new tranny. They did replace the u joints for me though ... then tell me to take it back to BMW and demand they take the truck back. I'm royally pissed at this point and drive right over to the dealership. On the way over I hear a noise I've never heard before ... as I accelerated (never got above 35 mph) a ticking or clicking noise got progressively louder. When I arrive at the BMW place I explain my story to the salesman and sales manager and they are very concerned and take it right back to the service department and assure me that they will make it right.

After I cool down I begin to wonder why the tranny shop didn't even want to fix it and think about the new noise ... crap, they could have hosed something up and this is the way they are trying to cover it up!! arghh! The dealer has now had it for three biz days and state that they have been talking to the LR dealer (100 miles away) and think that it some sort of part in the transfer case but are not positive. Anyone care to take a stab at what this might be and any reason that new u joints or anything else they might have done that could have caused this new noise? Thanks!!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Conflicting information ...

You my friend are in a tight spot. Let us know how it turns out for u. The new noise you're hearing could be the new u-joints. If they installed them and forgot to grease them being distracted by your other problems, they'll definately click before long. But it may also be a tranny or transfer case click, and I know nada about those two. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Conflicting information ...

Call me and let me try and help you with these issues.
303-862-7680
Colorado between 7 am and 8 pm