Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consensus on high mileage and/or Salvage Title?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Consensus on high mileage and/or Salvage Title?

So I’ve been pondering a Discovery purchase as a secondary vehicle (not a daily driver) on and off for 3 years now and I’m getting close to pulling the trigger on something. This will be for light off-roading, camping, and just in general having a project to work on, using it as a learning experience for auto repairs. I’ve done a ton of research on various online forums and this one seems to be the best site out there... so I’m well aware of the love and attention these awesome vehicles need. In my search (mostly Craigslist) I’m noticing a bunch are titled as salvage and they all seem to be due to simple things like a rear -end accident that cracked a bumper. Is that really enough to deem them totaled? For example, one I’m looking at is a salvage 2000 Disco II with a messed up rear bumper with 277,000 miles. Everything else is is very good condition but I think it’s way overpriced at $4K and would never pay that much for it. Is 277,000 miles way too much? Should I stay away from salvage Discos regardless of whether it’s only bumper or light body damage?

Last edited by Twangin; 01-01-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Will you be able to insure it as a salvage title ? I would get something less shady

Old 01-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Yes D2's can be totalled out just due to a small accident, and it's BS IMHO. My 98 D1 LSE was rear-ended several years ago & all they wanted to do was total it out and give me 1k.... I fought them tooth and nail, as my 98 D1 LSE was no beater but a perfect English Classic 4x4. They then tried to give me like 2K and give me a salvage title. I refused, and eventually I gave them so much grief they paid me well, and left my title status alone. I spent 200.00 on a new bumper, and then bought myself a 99 D2 with the rest!

I honestly prefer high mileage LR's personally as it's obviously been maintained to make it that far. It's the less than 100K LR's I avoid like the plague.

Salvage Title means slightly different things in different states. Rebuilt Salvage Title means it has been repaired, but depending on the insurance you can usually only get liability only coverage.

I've bought 2 LR's with salvage titles in the past & I never had any issues with them. Just depends on the accident/damage, but insurance companies totalled out plenty of vehicles during Hurricane Harvey for example just because the drivers seat was wet!!!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Drifting

Thanks for info! That’s actually something I definitely need to look into with my insurance company. Pretty sure they’ll allow just liability coverage.

I was thinking the same with regard to higher mileage meaning maintenance must have been done to get it to that point. I’m going to search through the forum for threads on what to look for when going to look at a potential Discovery purchase.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Salvage titles are from car accidents, storm damage, flood damage, or theft. Theft being recovered After the insurance has paid out.
Theft recoverys are usually good deals, run from flood damage, as all kinds of gremlins can show up, and accident damage can be simple repairs or major damage, usually depending on the vehicle's age.
If it's cheap, a salvage title is not always bad, but keep in mind it kills the value and resale to 99% of buyers.
Also some states will Not allow you to register a salvage title vehicle, and as said, some companies won't insure them.
$4k for a salvage title D2 is a joke, unless it's in great shape with lots of aftermarket parts...and your happy with the price, and no the resale/money loss risks.
Many people buy cheap D2's and have great luck with them. I almost did, but mine has snowballed into a giant money pit.
So be Very careful when looking to buy one, be picky, and be patient...and avoid a salvage title unless the reason for it and price are too good to pass up.
And if you want a money pit for $4k...I'll hook you right up, lol.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Salvage titles are from car accidents, storm damage, flood damage, or theft. Theft being recovered After the insurance has paid out.
Theft recoverys are usually good deals, run from flood damage, as all kinds of gremlins can show up, and accident damage can be simple repairs or major damage, usually depending on the vehicle's age.
If it's cheap, a salvage title is not always bad, but keep in mind it kills the value and resale to 99% of buyers.
Also some states will Not allow you to register a salvage title vehicle, and as said, some companies won't insure them.
$4k for a salvage title D2 is a joke, unless it's in great shape with lots of aftermarket parts...and your happy with the price, and no the resale/money loss risks.
Many people buy cheap D2's and have great luck with them. I almost did, but mine has snowballed into a giant money pit.
So be Very careful when looking to buy one, be picky, and be patient...and avoid a salvage title unless the reason for it and price are too good to pass up.
And if you want a money pit for $4k...I'll hook you right up, lol.
hahaa yeah I could never bring myself to pay $4K for this one. The KBB median value is $1900 and that’s with choosing “very good” condition. Then you factor in the busted rear bumper and salvage title.. takes the value down even more. My max is $2k and I’m in no hurry so just going to keep looking at the options as they pop up.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Just bought a 2003 D2 with 112k miles on it for $2000. Dumped about $2k in parts and 40 hours of work and she's running again. No shady title crap. Good deals are out there. Don't pay that much for a salvage title .

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The mileage is higher than I would like, I try to buy 100-160k mileage examples because they are high value but the trans and axles still have loads of life in them.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Well I just got some info back from a guy I messaged about a tan 1999 D2. Here's the details:
- 209,000 miles, clean title
- Says it runs great/drives great
- The pics provided show the exterior looking in great condition
- Interior condition is great with exception on small tear on passenger seat
- Front passenger window regulator not working well (motor fine but only rolls up/down couple inches)
- Water hoses and thermostat just replaced
- Traction Control light on, and another light on as well but he couldn't remember which one at the time
- Quote from the guy: "Tiny exhaust manifold leak, but you have to open hood to hear it"
- Quote from the guy: "Leaks some oil"
- Brand new alternator
- 2 new pulleys
- $1500 OBO

So, what do you all think about this one? It sounds very similar to so many common D2 issues iv'e read about. With the issues listed does this sound like too much of an undertaking, given the price?

Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Twangin
Well I just got some info back from a guy I messaged about a tan 1999 D2. Here's the details:
- 209,000 miles, clean title
- Says it runs great/drives great
- The pics provided show the exterior looking in great condition
- Interior condition is great with exception on small tear on passenger seat
- Front passenger window regulator not working well (motor fine but only rolls up/down couple inches)
- Water hoses and thermostat just replaced
- Traction Control light on, and another light on as well but he couldn't remember which one at the time
- Quote from the guy: "Tiny exhaust manifold leak, but you have to open hood to hear it"
- Quote from the guy: "Leaks some oil"
- Brand new alternator
- 2 new pulleys
- $1500 OBO

So, what do you all think about this one? It sounds very similar to so many common D2 issues iv'e read about. With the issues listed does this sound like too much of an undertaking, given the price?
I see you're in NC, I'm in Va
Search Craigslist from Lynchburg or Danville Va, and include all nearby areas in the options.
I haven't looked lately, but there have been some D2's on there lately that seemed like they were worth looking at.
You can PM Extinct too(he's in Va also and already posted in this thread), as he had a nice D2 for sale recently, and has several of them.

Quick Reply: Consensus on high mileage and/or Salvage Title?