Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering black rover

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015 | 09:46 AM
|
Mudding
Default Considering black rover

I have been keeping my eye out for a discovery. I found one that looks very clean. It was built by a father for his child. Recently has built up a LR3 for the child. Selling the Discovery. He has a discovery for himself currently. It is a D package no sunroofs or third row. I would prefer a 7 seater but that was not a must have feature just a want. I like that it is very clean.

$7000

Top end has just been rebuilt, new wires, plugs, water pump, radiator, belt, tensioners, MAF, air cleaner box.

1. TJM front Bull bar ready for a winch.
2. TJM rear bumper
3. Taraferma 2" lift with heavy duty springs
4. Factory wheels powder coated black
5. 5 Nitto Trail Griper MT tires (less than 4k on them) 285/75/r16
6. Rock sliders W/O step
7. Headliner removed and truck bed liner sprayed in

It needs a new window regulator on the front passenger side and the two rear electric locks do not work. He took the top end a part himself and had a machine shop to the machining. If it does not sell this weekend I was thinking about making a trip to go look at it. He apparently had a couple coming to look at it this weekend. It is a 6 hour drive for me so I was not able to make it this weekend do to family obligations.

Should I insist on having it looked at by a mechanic before making offer are just do a thorough test drive? Look for overheating, leaks, codes, etc...? If I have a mechanic look it over what should I ask them to do? Is a compression test reasonable?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg

Old 01-04-2015 | 10:31 AM
TReK

" Should I insist on having it looked at by a mechanic before making offer are just do a thorough test drive? Look for overheating, leaks, codes, etc...? If I have a mechanic look it over what should I ask them to do? Is a compression test reasonable? "

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!! "I like that it is very clean" MEANS ZERO!

"Look for overheating" Safe to assume that already happened if he did top end/ head gasket work.

$7000... it's your cash. Don't get caught up with the add-ons... adds very little to the value of this rig. Do I dare ask how many miles on this thing? Pre and Post engine work.

STILL No matter what Rover you buy, spend the $$$ to have it looked at by a mech that knows LR.

Old 01-04-2015 | 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

That is a lot of cash outlay for a Disco.

I would definitely have a pre-purchase inspection done. It should be mandatory for Rover purchases lol.

Also budget for another possible $1-2k in items that you will find needing attention in the first few months.

Old 01-04-2015 | 10:48 AM
Mudding
Default take a look

I paid $4000 for mine. All I have added was the rooftop tent. Take a look at my photo album. Good luck! Oh, and have a mechanic look at it.

Old 01-04-2015 | 11:20 AM
|
Mudding

I would guess that the main issue to have a mechanic look for is a compression test? Obviously they would look for more but is that the test that really must be done?

Old 01-04-2015 | 11:21 AM
TReK

120,000 MILES for $7000>>> Kelly Blue Book is only $3470 in excellent condition. 2004 Land Rover Discovery

I'm not trying to bum you out, but GET IT LOOKED AT!

I can't get past the "clean" comment. Think about it, when a Dealer gets a car back from auction what stop does it make first....The DETAIL Dept. Why, because "CLEAN" means good. NOT.

Simple rule: Sellers ALWAYS know more than buyers!

Old 01-04-2015 | 11:22 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by mark d
I paid $4000 for mine. All I have added was the rooftop tent. Take a look at my photo album. Good luck! Oh, and have a mechanic look at it.
How do I get to your photo album?

Old 01-04-2015 | 11:24 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by OverRover
120,000 MILES for $7000>>> Kelly Blue Book is only $3470 in excellent condition. 2004 Land Rover Discovery

I'm not trying to bum you out, but GET IT LOOKED AT!

I can't get past the "clean" comment. Think about it, when a Dealer gets a car back from auction what stop does it make first....The DETAIL Dept. Why, because "CLEAN" means good. NOT.

Simple rule: Sellers ALWAYS know more than buyers!

It is a private seller but I understand what you mean. By clean I just meant the paint and body are in very good condition.

Old 01-04-2015 | 01:18 PM
Drifting

i live DFW and purchased a 99 disco 2 in september. 126,000 miles 2 owner. 2nd owner had it since 2001. supposedly had it service professionally. ran like a top, no problems mechanically. and then two weeks ago a little overheating and now she is in my garage getting serviced. the professional that did a head job previously broke a exhaust manifold bolt, cross threaded a spark plug, and rounded out a head bolt. do i love this car, absolutely. was i prepared to do the head job, absolutely. whats that old saying, buyer beware. oh and i only paid 3 grand. it would be hard for me to pay 7 for that rig.

Old 01-04-2015 | 05:00 PM

It seems a lot of $$$$$ for the D2 rover. Personally, having owned a black 2000 D2 many years ago, although I love black, I'd never buy another, you spend forever cleaning the damned thing and if it scratches it shows up so easily, just my personal view.

If you go ahead, ensure you actually have the codes read on an OBD2 and witness them as it's near impossible to hide faults on a code reader.

Quick Reply: Considering black rover