Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a bunch of jobs

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 02:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Considering a bunch of jobs

Car ran like a champ back from South Carolina up to New York. But it deserves some love.

Still have 4 amigos. Narrowed to front left. Need to give that some time.

Throwing a couple of random Torque Converter codes. Wondering if just a trans fluid swap/fill might knock that out.

Valve cover gasket been leaking forever.

Driven 40,000 miles in 9 years. When I took ownership I did a fairly decent service: plugs, wires, coils, fluids, coolant mod, PCV mod, etc etc. It’s really running great. but I’m starting to detect idling oddness and im in for a bit of preventetive stuff.

Im thinking of doing the following:

Remove intake.
Swap coils, plugs, wires, intake gasket

Get to valve cover gaskets and swap. Oil separator?

Water pump and belt. Tensioner.

Trans pan gasket (leaking). Swap filter, swap fluid.

I believe hardest on the list is Valve covers. I could try and just get a socket on there and tighten down, but I’d really like to know they are right.

I dont have long to plan/do this. Really next week and the one after, before I have to leave for Xmas.

Thoughts?

Old 12-03-2023, 03:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

Find a D1 or classic trans pan so you can have a dipstick when you swap the gasket...

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 04:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Valve cover gaskets are easy if you have the intake off. However if you still have the factory baffle in the tube that is probably why you have valve cover gasket leaks. Have you tightened the bolts? I have never seen torque converter codes, nor a leaking trans pan. How many miles on the truck?

Old 12-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Car ran like a champ back from South Carolina up to New York. But it deserves some love.

Still have 4 amigos. Narrowed to front left. Need to give that some time.

Throwing a couple of random Torque Converter codes. Wondering if just a trans fluid swap/fill might knock that out.

Valve cover gasket been leaking forever.

Driven 40,000 miles in 9 years. When I took ownership I did a fairly decent service: plugs, wires, coils, fluids, coolant mod, PCV mod, etc etc. It’s really running great. but I’m starting to detect idling oddness and im in for a bit of preventetive stuff.

Im thinking of doing the following:

Remove intake.
Swap coils, plugs, wires, intake gasket [Why? Are there SES codes? Misfires?]

Get to valve cover gaskets and swap. Oil separator? [You wrote you already did the PCV mod. The oil separator should be gone already.]

Water pump and belt. Tensioner. [Again, why? Is coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole? Is there noise from the tensioner pulley or any wobble with the belt off?]

Trans pan gasket (leaking). Swap filter, swap fluid.

I believe hardest on the list is Valve covers. I could try and just get a socket on there and tighten down, but I’d really like to know they are right. [Always, always start with the easiest, least expensive remedies. Just get a 12-pt., 8mm socket and tighten the four lower valve cover bolts on each side. The upper valve cover bolts are less (not?) relevant since leaking at the top is unlikely at best.]

I dont have long to plan/do this. Really next week and the one after, before I have to leave for Xmas.

Thoughts?
Please see my responses above.

Last edited by mln01; 03-14-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by whowa004
Find a D1 or classic trans pan so you can have a dipstick when you swap the gasket...
Darn. Wish I’d read this before doing that job today. Dipstick would have been nice. Never realized.

The level was significantly low as well. Which I’m hoping is responsible for the odd torque converter codes. The trans had starting acting odd. Not surprisingly. Nothing odd on the magnet, thankfully.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mln01
Please seen my responses above.
Water pump has slight weeping. Can’t see if it’s the weep hole or otherwise.

No misfires detected. I do have an odd idle at times. Mostly when cold.

Are all valve cover bolts accessible without removing anything? Thats a no brainer if so, as I havnt tried tightening them yet.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:06 PM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

I’d say confirm the water pump leak and then replace it. There’s a recent thread about Flo-Cooler water pumps being the best option.
You can tighten the outboard valve cover screws without any disassembly, but the inner ones aren’t accessible. Unless the oil leak is bad I wouldn’t mess with the inner bolts until I had a better reason to access the area. But I’m not very **** about small oil leaks.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If I’m doing the water pump, is there a better fan/clutch option? look into that recommended pump.

Im all for cooling upgrades. 140k. Original head gaskets.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
... Are all valve cover bolts accessible without removing anything? Thats a no brainer if so, as I havnt tried tightening them yet.
Originally Posted by Harvlr
... You can tighten the outboard valve cover screws without any disassembly, but the inner ones aren’t accessible. Unless the oil leak is bad I wouldn’t mess with the inner bolts until I had a better reason to access the area. But I’m not very **** about small oil leaks.
Unless removing the intake for some other reason, it's my opinion that tightening the outboard valve cover bolts/screws is all that's needed. Remember, oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets are due to gravity (exacerbated by air pressure under the cover if the oil separator is plugged and hasn't been removed as part of the PCV mod). Since the outboard side is lower, that's where oil would pool under the cover.

I'm working with a guy here whom I met a few months ago (2001 DII). One of his concerns was oil leaking from the valve cover gaskets. When he checked the four outboard screws he found three were loose - two very loose. We're next going to do the PCV mod and then clean up leaked oil from the engine exterior to enable him to keep an eye on fresh leaks.

Remember too that the valve cover bolts have 12 pt. heads, so you'll need an 8mm, 12 pt. socket (¼" drive recommended), with extension.