Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Discovery purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:48 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Considering Discovery purchase.

How much does that bottle of octane booster cost you? $4? And it only raises your octane by less than one point. So you are paying $66 for a tank of mid-grade when you buy 20 gals and use the octane boost. ($3.10 per gal of mid grade)
Premium would have cost you $64.
Geez wish I could get a tank of fuel for $64 dollars. Up here in Canada we've been paying upwards of $1.40 + per litre of fuel and with Premium you're lookin' at a $110+ easy for a fillup Not chump change!

The octane supplement is about 4-5 bucks and will cover 5 or more fillups. The way I view it is, if I don't hear/feel any noise or errant behavior under hood, than I'll stick with what octane works for the car. Perhaps it's the Chevron (with techron) additive that gives me the desired performance...I can't say.

Gas prices have come down recently in Canada, but on the west coast we're still getting gouged
and there's no end in sight

Muckster

Old 10-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL , you guys make me laugh.......your fuel is CHEAP......dont forget that !!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

urban, we average 40 mile commutes to work over here. Most people around my area live in the suburbs because of crime in the cities..so add 10-20 more miles per day for going to the store, school, etc. Limited public transportation.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nitetrain,

I fully understand what you are saying ref where you live / commute etc. But, that does not take away the fact your fuel is very cheap bud........to fill my disco costs £100, so at todays rate thats $155 in your money.

The US has been building , driving running huge V8's for YEARS where as Europe has always hadmostly smaller engined cars, V8's only being around in Top marque Audi / BMW / Merc ETC.

When I started driving 15 years ago a 2 litre engined car was BIG!!..... Its all down to the fact the 15 mpg in a huge motor in the US was the "norm" and thats because your fuel is cheap dude.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob2003Discovery

Spike, you say avoid the 03's ... is that because of the engine TSB? I am out of the VIN# range for that, butwhat else am I facing?? :-)
The ONLY reason I say stay away from a 2003 is because of the oil pump issue. They are a good looking truck but the oil pump issue is hit and miss, some fall in the VIN range and are fine others are not in the VIN range and have problems.
It is a crap shoot that I wouldnt take, I would buy a 2002 or 2004 instead.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

Nitetrain,

I fully understand what you are saying ref where you live / commute etc. But, that does not take away the fact your fuel is very cheap bud........to fill my disco costs £100, so at todays rate thats $155 in your money.

The US has been building , driving running huge V8's for YEARS where as Europe has always had mostly smaller engined cars, V8's only being around in Top marque Audi / BMW / Merc ETC.

When I started driving 15 years ago a 2 litre engined car was BIG!!..... Its all down to the fact the 15 mpg in a huge motor in the US was the "norm" and thats because your fuel is cheap dude.

Here in the US we have to drive so far to get anywhere.
My first car was a 74 Camaro 350ci -5.7L 8mpg to 12mpg with .45 cent per gal fuel,,,,
but pay was bad so it could have been 5 bucks per gal.
I never had any money so my 2nd car was a Audi Fox 1.5L the girls liked the Camaro better.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are are several people who have had problems with 2003 Discos in the VIN range, but many have not... Several others have had problems outside of the VIN range as well, including some 2004 owners who have posted their oil pump problems in this forum. I have a 2003 in the VIN range that has over 120,000 miles on it and have had no problems. Go figure.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Different Drummer

Accidental post... Sorry.
Will your insurance cover it?

Ok, a poor attempt at a bad joke, sorry.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Aside from the oil pump issue, the '03 doesn't have a CDL in the t-case. If you live in the snow belt, or have any desire to offroad, having the CDL is a must.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Mudding

I love my Irma. Even if I have to buy a CDL.
And I'm not in the VIN range...hoping beyond hope I'm okay. My truck was made the same month the TSB came out...I'd like to think my truck was one of the first to be corrected...

Quick Reply: Considering Discovery purchase.