Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Land Rover Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
Thanks, I've only been looking for the last couple days on Craigslist and an 00 caught my eye asking 4600 with 145k. Seems high to me, but haven't contacted the seller yet.

Any good Land Rover mechanics in the Houston area?
i tend to think i got a good deal but i just paid 4k for a 2000 with 95k. But i looked at quite a few different ones and haggled with people.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
Ok, so I've found a 2000 with 144k on it. It's a three owner car and the guy says he has some of the service records. He doesn't know if the head gaskets have been replaced. I've called a place here in the Houston area, Land Rovers Unlimited, and they'll do a prepurchase inspection for $140. What should I expect for my $140?

I'm not familiar with that shop, but I have had great service from Joel at British Auto in Katy and Kwame off the SW Freeway on Bering Dr. What part of town are you in? Also, you might want to join the Houston Land Rover Club. They are great guys and will be very helpful, not to mention taking you off road.
Let me know if I can be helpful.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Dgosh28
I'm not familiar with that shop, but I have had great service from Joel at British Auto in Katy and Kwame off the SW Freeway on Bering Dr. What part of town are you in? Also, you might want to join the Houston Land Rover Club. They are great guys and will be very helpful, not to mention taking you off road.
Let me know if I can be helpful.
What's the name of the shop off SW Freeway? That would be the closest place to me by far. Land Rover Unlimited was recommended in some old threads I found on the forum through google, but they're up in Spring. If/when I get in to a Land Rover, I'll certainly be looking into joining the HLRC.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy something else unless you can't imagine driving anything else.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

If you need the vehicle, don't buy a Rover. If you want reliability, don't buy a Rover. I've owned one now for just over 6 months and I can tell you - the horror stories are true, you will be working on it more than most any other. If you need reliability, buy a Cherokee (not Grand!) w/ the inline 6cyl, or a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) w/ the same drivetrain but no cargo.

My Rover has left me stranded more times in 6 months than any other vehicle I've ever owned in their lifetime.

With that said - I LOVE my 2000 Disco. When it's running, it's fantastic. I wouldn't go back to a Jeep, but it's by no means for the feint of heart!

Dave

Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Owned my 04 for a year...I'm at $24K.

HOWEVER, mine is a DD, so ANY issue from couple drops of oil under the truck to the AC not working right to flaking e-brake/CDL boots to a scratch on the front bumper sends me into repair mode. Also, I went all out for a top hat liner block ($6K) in an attempt to resolve some of the uncertanties plauging the original block.

My recommendation: Buy an 4.0L XJ like Ghaniba said. I've had one and they're wonderful so long as you don't need 7 seats or plush anything. Put a couple lockers on it and go wherever we do only for le$$. If you decide to get a Disco, go for a D1. Maintenance is easier, cheaper and they tend to be a tad more reliable. I went with the 04 because it's the most comfortable as a DD for my family. If it was a toy, I'd have gone with a D1.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Results May Vary....
I've had my DII for about 18 Months... Purchased with seeping coolant from rear of engine $1800 Drove it a year like this while change fluids, driveshafts, three amgios, and a bunch of other bi-monthly stuff that everyone here on the forum will deem as maintainance. Never left me stranded. Once the seep turn into a constant leaK, did the head gaskets and had the heads machined all around $500 and Two full weekends (worked slow and goofed off) If you (1) don't purchase one that has been abused and (2) don't mind reading and getting your hands dirty - then you'll love the truck. If your extra time is filled with Honey-Do's - Then you will hate the truck. And trust me... Once you get the maintainance caught up... It's no better / worst than any other 8-10 yr old truck.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan7
Buy something else unless you can't imagine driving anything else.
I've yet to drive one, but I do like the styling quite a bit, and the size is perfect for my needs. My current Expedition is roughly the same size, and is just right, but it's not really a vehicle I feel like keeping around for another 10+ years, plus it's not 4WD, which I would really like to have.

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
If you need the vehicle, don't buy a Rover. If you want reliability, don't buy a Rover. I've owned one now for just over 6 months and I can tell you - the horror stories are true, you will be working on it more than most any other. If you need reliability, buy a Cherokee (not Grand!) w/ the inline 6cyl, or a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) w/ the same drivetrain but no cargo.

My Rover has left me stranded more times in 6 months than any other vehicle I've ever owned in their lifetime.

With that said - I LOVE my 2000 Disco. When it's running, it's fantastic. I wouldn't go back to a Jeep, but it's by no means for the feint of heart!

Dave
Originally Posted by Dan7
Owned my 04 for a year...I'm at $24K.

HOWEVER, mine is a DD, so ANY issue from couple drops of oil under the truck to the AC not working right to flaking e-brake/CDL boots to a scratch on the front bumper sends me into repair mode. Also, I went all out for a top hat liner block ($6K) in an attempt to resolve some of the uncertanties plauging the original block.

My recommendation: Buy an 4.0L XJ like Ghaniba said. I've had one and they're wonderful so long as you don't need 7 seats or plush anything. Put a couple lockers on it and go wherever we do only for le$$. If you decide to get a Disco, go for a D1. Maintenance is easier, cheaper and they tend to be a tad more reliable. I went with the 04 because it's the most comfortable as a DD for my family. If it was a toy, I'd have gone with a D1.
Originally Posted by MoShadeTree
Your Results May Vary....
I've had my DII for about 18 Months... Purchased with seeping coolant from rear of engine $1800 Drove it a year like this while change fluids, driveshafts, three amgios, and a bunch of other bi-monthly stuff that everyone here on the forum will deem as maintainance. Never left me stranded. Once the seep turn into a constant leaK, did the head gaskets and had the heads machined all around $500 and Two full weekends (worked slow and goofed off) If you (1) don't purchase one that has been abused and (2) don't mind reading and getting your hands dirty - then you'll love the truck. If your extra time is filled with Honey-Do's - Then you will hate the truck. And trust me... Once you get the maintainance caught up... It's no better / worst than any other 8-10 yr old truck.
The thing is, this will not be a DD for me. But when I do need it, I need it to work. I guess that is my dilemma. I initially thought a YJ or a TJ would be the vehicle for me, but I really do need cargo space, so the XJ was the next thing I looked in to. I just don't know if I like the styling of the XJ enough to keep it around for a long time.

Not many D1's I've see for sale, and the one's I have I would never trade in my Expedition for. They're in pretty **** poor condition, and the sellers have all expressed mechanical issues form the get go. I need a truck that works as is, but if something comes along, I'm willing to fix it. I've heard of horror stories, but there has to be tell tale signs of impending doom before hand, which should be completely preventable, or am I completely way off on this? Should I be looking at a Toyota?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Mudding

Just take your time and do your home work. You will find your dream rover. It just takes time!! Like I said look for one or two owners and all service records. The biggest one in my eyes is if the block has badly over heated resulting in warped heads, blown head gasket ( if warped heads are not addressed the head gasket will blow again!) cracked block or slipped liner. Slipped liners can be fixed, but sometimes can be a bit tricky to diagnose.

Keep calm and rover on!!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

4 Runners & Land Cruisers are great cars. My folks offered to sell their 1-owner Land Cruiser to me at a great price and now I'm kicking myself, because I've got a lot more than that in my Disco now. However, I would never be passionate about it the way I am with my Disco. It'd be a great 3rd car I guess.

Quick Reply: Considering a Land Rover Discovery II