Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering my first Disco: need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Considering my first Disco: need advice

Hey all, thanks for the help. I'm totally new to LR but I'm ver y active in many other car communities.
So, I considering a 1999, which I'm pretty sure is a disco2 since I also saw a 98 and they looked very different, more so the inside of the 99 looked fancier.
So, 1999, 2 owners, first was (allegedly) an old lady who put 100k on it and did 100% required maintenance. I'm buying from second owner who did the last 30 and replaced the starter but didn't do much else. now 135,000 miles.
It seems to be in mostly decent repair. So here are the issues, what are your thoughts
1. Looks like there's a coolant leak from under the throttle body. (I assume a gasket and 30 minutes to fix?)
2. The rear left door won't unlock with the button. (easy actuator replacement or even cleaning?)
3. the three amigos, or 4 actually with the abs, brake, hill control, and TC lights. I read a little about this but need to learn more. Can I ignore this for a while? What happens?
4. needs a new exhaust manifold to down pipe ring gasket per midas. easy.

So, agreed price got down to $2500. It needs new tires soonish too. Is this decent? I plan on putting a little work in to it hoping to keep it running in to the 200k mile area. Eventually planning a mild lift and bigger tires to do family camping trips out in the mountains over rough dirt and rock roads. Am I crazy, or can I make it happen?
What do I NEED to look at to make sure it is solid?

Extra credit question: after looking at a disco1; where is the locking diff actuator?? Is the disco2 less offroad capable than its predecessor??

Sorry for the long post. Thanks again! I hope to join the family soon!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts
Default Too expensive

1)Throttle body fix is a about $80 in parts

2) 3 amigos is around $200 and a day of labor at least(assuming it's just your shuttle valves)

3) exhaust manifold, not so bad but might as well do both.

4) door lock actuator needs to be replaced- $100 plus 1/2 day.

You can't trust this owners summary of the care the last owner gave the car. It's a high mileage ignored rover that will need your full attention. I would plan on 2-3k in catch up maintenance just to be where you should be. Also if it has not been done already, count on having the head gaskets done-$1500-$3000 from a mechanic.

It does have a locking dif, but no shifter to actuate. D1 shifter will cost $150 ish and take a day to install, 04' D2 shifter(cable actuated) is around $400.

Needing tires, etc. I say it's a 1000-1500 max rover.

There is alwYs s better deal around the corner. Do not be in a rush to buy it

Old 02-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
1)

There is alwYs s better deal around the corner. Do not be in a rush to buy it
Thanks for the fantastic info, I really appreciate it.
My research shows me that even though I agree with you, and I'd like to spend less since I know it will need some work, this is still a good price. Everything else is higher miles AND more money that I'm finding. Most are closer to 160k+ miles and have the same or other problems. Do you really think I can find something more solid under 5k?
I went back reviewed other posts for sale after your message, and no one I've seen is selling with this mileage for less than $4k, and those all still have the same unadressed problems that this one has except maybe tires. I either want to spend low now and expect to put a couple grand in to it the first year, or spend up to $5k for one of whatever milage that already has all the main issues addressed, (but those all seem to be closer to 6k+)
I'd be forever grateful if someone was bored and wanted to check in the Denver/Boulder, CO area and thinks there might be something better out there. I agree a better deal will one day present itself, but any old british car is a gamble as to what your luck is going to be with it's future, and at least this one is a super cheap start.

Last edited by Broken08; 02-01-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Jnj
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a Kent Green 01 with 140k on the clock. Head gaskets done, water pump and spark plugs done. Minor oil seepage from valve covers. Worst thing is the power steering pump needs replaced and needs a passenger window regulator. It runs really strong and interior is clean. I paid $1800 for it. I would say you can find a much better deal. It also has factory bull bar and hella lights. If I take that off and sell it I'm I to it for even less.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jnj
I just picked up a Kent Green 01 with 140k on the clock. Head gaskets done, water pump and spark plugs done. Minor oil seepage from valve covers. Worst thing is the power steering pump needs replaced and needs a passenger window regulator. It runs really strong and interior is clean. I paid $1800 for it. I would say you can find a much better deal. It also has factory bull bar and hella lights. If I take that off and sell it I'm I to it for even less.
Damn, that is a deal. I don't see anything even close to that out here. Maybe it's a different market here in Denver, I dunno, but all the ones I've looked at in this sort of price range have gone super fast with lots of interest, meaning their value, as determined by the public, is on par with what I'm looking at. I'll keep looking hard, I have until monday on this one that he is holding it for me.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Baja

There is a huge difference between asking price and selling price.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Baja

Also, he is not holding it for you. He will sell to the first person with cash, believe me.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
There is a huge difference between asking price and selling price.
I'm aware. he's firm, and as I said, it seems a competitive price point.

Please, help me find a better deal in Denver.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Is this the truck? >Landrover

That on it's best day is worth MAYBE $1500. Any $2500 land rover will be one of the most expensive rigs you will ever own. If you are serious spend some money and have a LR mechanic look at it(or any LR). Abran was spot on re: "catch up maintenance". $$$$$

I love the: " ...old lady who put 100k on it" People still say this?
"So, agreed price got down to $2500" What did the price start at?

Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, how about one with only 82k on it with no current needs, 4" emu lift, newer duratrac tires, grill gaurd, offroad lights and winch. Plus the conversion for LCD done? Seems like a lot more money, but I (in theory) won't have anythign to do for a long time

Quick Reply: Considering my first Disco: need advice