Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Purchase of '03, Question Within...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Purchase of '03, Question Within...

First off, thanks for taking time to read my post, and another thank you if you have information to add.

I'm looking at a 2003 SE with 59k miles that appears to be in pretty good shape. Cosmetically, it looks good inside and out. Carfax is totally clean. Two owner vehicle.

From what I've gathered in this forum, the 03-04 models seem to be good ones to target. Any general info I should know about?

I looked at the car last night for the first time. It was very cold outside (15F), and I don't think it had been started for a while.It started right up no problem. I did notice a very slight engine tick. I believe I could still hear the tick slightly even after the motor was warm. Didn't seem too out of the ordinary for me (I'm a jeep guy, so weird noises are normal). Are Discos known for their engine noises, or should it have soundedLexusquiet?

I also noticed a slight "thunk" when hitting dips in the road. Once again, nothing that seemed super alarming.

Anyway, just thought I'd post some info and get the collective thoughts of the Board. Anything you guys would recommend I further investigate before buying would be appreciated. Regarding price, is the $10k range (maybe a little under) reasonable? KBB and Edmunds put it between $9k and $10k depending upon condition and options.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Considering Purchase of '03, Question Within...

the 03 has a vin range that had a oiling failure in the engine that would cause a engine to seize. if you have the vin post it and someone can tell you where this rig falls.

also the 03 does not have a diff lock, which is no big deal as long as you are not a avid trail or off road person. for light off road usage and driving about town this is not a big issue to not have the diff lock.

my 04 ticks when cold, but warm. it may just need to have the engine flushed to loosen up any junk that has built up over the years.

as long as all and i mean all the electronics work and you feel ok about it then that is what is important.

also make sure to have about a grand set aside to do the 60k service and a front drive shaft replacement (if is has not been addressed yet). its a good thing to swap the front u-joints to a zerk style for serviceability cause if that front shaft pops then it takes your tranny with it.

ummm what else,,,, always use premium gas. not everything costs a ton if you can wrench yourself. and have fun

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Sloppyjoe, thanks for the info. I realized it doesn't have the diff lock, but like you said, not a big deal to me b/c this will be a highway driven (inclement weather) vehicle.

I saw a few posts related to the front driveshaft issue you mentioned. So the fix is a shaft replacement as well as greasable (sp?)u-joints...... or just greasable u-joints?

Any opininions on a fair price? I don't mean the best bargain available, but what should I realistically expect to pay when purchasing from an individual, not a dealer?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan H

Sloppyjoe, thanks for the info. I realized it doesn't have the diff lock, but like you said, not a big deal to me b/c this will be a highway driven (inclement weather) vehicle.

The VIN is SALTY16433A819288

I saw a few posts related to the front driveshaft issue you mentioned. So the fix is a shaft replacement as well as greasable (sp?)u-joints...... or just greasable u-joints?

Any opininions on a fair price? I don't mean the best bargain available, but what should I realistically expect to pay when purchasing from an individual, not a dealer?

its just a joint replacement so figure on a couple hundred bucks. and any good driveline shop can do the work in a couple hours of their time.

avoid the dealer at all costs. they are parts swappers NOT problem solvers.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is the VIN range for the oil pump failure:

3A771801 – 3A808362

Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Looks like you should be good to go about the VIN range. I love my '03 and wouldn't trade it for anything less than an '04 or a Defender 110. Just to give you a basis for comparison, my truck does fall inside the VIN range for the possible trouble, but I only paid $6600 for my truck in September of '08. Take that with you when you negotiate. I got a good deal from a dealer, not an individual, but you shouldn't overpay in my opinion. Oh, forgot to ask, is the truck S, SE, or HSE? That will make a difference in what I would consider an acceptable price.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for all the info. Glad to know my VIN is in the good range.

The truck is an SE. Seemingly great condition. $6600 seems like an incredible deal. I was prepared for $9k plus based on KBB and Edmund's person to person quotes. Am I missing something?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Considering Purchase of '

Well I feel like I got a great deal on my truck. The fact that it does fall inside the VIN range noted in the TSB could have cut down the potential value somewhat, and it does have some very minor cosmetic flaws. Also, mine had 110k miles on it when I bought it, so almost double the one you're looking at. All in all, the dealer was asking $8900 plus tax, tag, and dealer fees. I negotiated down to $6600 out the door. I guess it all just depends on how good a negotiator you are and how eager the seller is to get rid of the vehicle. The other two that I seriously looked at were both '99's with 120k and 140k+. The one with 120 was asking $6k, and the one with 144+ was asking $4900.