Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Wiper Arm Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously...A video for wiper arm swap? Only one tool needed. 13mm wrench or socket. Remove D2 arms, replace with D1 arms. Let's not over complicate things.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for posting this Sir, I need all the help I can get when it comes to 'Bertha' :-)

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 01-23-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll repost my post from yesterday on another forum. The tl;dr version: just do it--super simple.

Not happy with the wipers on my newly-purchased D2, I learned about the issue with D2's having custom wipers (that aren't cheap). I went to my local pick and pull salvage yard and removed the front and rear wipers for $11. (I also took the D1's heavy duty back mat for $1.50--hoping it fits decent--but that's not for this thread).

Removal and installation were super easy. I used the nuts from the D1 to secure the D1 arms to the D2. All done in a matter of minutes. The wipers on the D1 arms were actually in pretty nice shape, but I splurged and picked up some new RainX Latitudes anyways. They were out of 21s, so I went with a couple of 20s (the D1s were 18s, and I think the D2s were as well). The 20s have a real nice fit and coverage. (I know others say the 21s will fit--but I think they might be a bit too big.)

I'll tackle the back wiper when the weather gets a bit nicer. I'll likely opt for the zip tie method to secure the rear wiper washer jet. Although, I have a dremel that I enjoy using; so maybe I'll go for the full mod.

In short:

1. If you're thinking about doing this mod, I highly encourage you to do so; it's painfully easy.
2. Check your salvage yard to save money on the conversion kit.
3. Enjoy

One more thing to add. If you can get the part straight from a D1, make sure you take the nut as well. If you use the D1 nut, you'll have a nice fit with the bolt covers.

Last edited by ThisRoverGuy; 01-23-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

KernowDiscovery

have you tried loosening the arms, realigning them and tighten the arms yet?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I considered the salvage yard option, but honestly, it's a 40 mile drive each way to the closest import salvage yard that would have them... after weighing the 80 mile round trip... 6 gallons of gas at $3.75 per gallon would cost me $22.50 in gas to get there and back, not to mention the cost of 2 1/2 hours of my time, plus the cost of the parts (which have been sitting, exposed to all of this lovely Indiana weather, for who knows how many years), which probably would need to be painted, plus the need to go buy new wiper blades and I decided to just have them delivered to my doorstep... All shiny and new, complete with wiper blades.

If I lived in the same town as the salvage yard, I probably would have opted to go that route, as I have done business with them before and they are great people. But in my situation it just didn't make sense for a small purchase like this.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thread score! Just got a DII and still have my DI, looks like I'm taking my wipers off the DI before I 'let her go'

Old 01-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
I considered the salvage yard option, but honestly, it's a 40 mile drive each way to the closest import salvage yard that would have them... after weighing the 80 mile round trip... 6 gallons of gas at $3.75 per gallon would cost me $22.50 in gas to get there and back, not to mention the cost of 2 1/2 hours of my time, plus the cost of the parts (which have been sitting, exposed to all of this lovely Indiana weather, for who knows how many years), which probably would need to be painted, plus the need to go buy new wiper blades and I decided to just have them delivered to my doorstep... All shiny and new, complete with wiper blades.

If I lived in the same town as the salvage yard, I probably would have opted to go that route, as I have done business with them before and they are great people. But in my situation it just didn't make sense for a small purchase like this.
For sure. Definitely not worth the trouble. I'm in a large Metro, and this is the only Rover in the junkyards (of the pick n pull variety). I kinda wish there was a D2 as well, so I'd have a parts machine, but the D1 has been good to me, so I won't complain.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
KernowDiscovery

have you tried loosening the arms, realigning them and tighten the arms yet?

Well drowssap.....since you asked, yes, thank you. I can't help but mess with things (as I'm a very curious individual by nature) and I'm tempted by puzzle makers. It's been a weird week. I took the week off from work for some 'me time' and my business partner ended up 'attracting' (for lack of better word) the flu so I've been working whether I want to or not. My blue ray player broke down and I also 'contracted' a virus on my computer (knew something was wrong when I tried to link to the Land Rover forum and was redirected to a 'refinance your military mortgage' website) so I spent another vacation day wiping out my entire computer and reloading the defaults. So 3 days out of the 5 haven't worked out as I had hoped/planned. THE GOOD NEWS IS......... wait for it........my wiper blades actually synched today and worked together the entire ride in! Yay!!!! I hope it lasts...I'm presently celebrating with a beer (it's slow at work) that my kind neighbor down the hall brought over for me. Probably shouldn't drink it all though as I'm still following my New Year's resolution and need to treat 'Bertha' right. She doesn't need to get in a crack-up on the way home and neither does anyone else, especially on these slick roads. Thanks for following up on my 'blade issue' I still think I will be doing the conversion though in the future - D1 blades are pretty practical, non?

Quick Reply: Considering Wiper Arm Swap