Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuous Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Continuous Whining Noise/Contact LR North America

Hello

I contacted Land Rover North America this morning to advise them of my situation. The advised me that the Discovery should not be making a continuous whining noise. They also agreed that I should ask to have a technician ride with me to outline my concerns. And to also keep them informed as to the outcome and if I should have any problems with the dealership. They were very kind. Thanks, Gordon

Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Continuous Whining Noise

When the dealership runs the computer diagnostics......would the results show if the bearings were going in the idler Pulley, transfer case wear or even a crack or leak in the intake hose from the air cleaner. Should I assume that if the dealer tells me the diagnostics say "ALL IS WELL" with my Discovery, then I should not worry about the noises or whines I hear? Or are items I mentioned, items that the technician must review manually??? Thanks, Gordon

Old 07-22-2005, 04:00 AM
5th Gear

just a thought but maybe you should drive a disco similar to yours. if it doesnt sound the same then there you go. you know something is wrong.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Drifting

I have a 2001 Disco and it was making a horrible whining noise. I ended up replacing the idelor pully now she purs like a kitten. You may want to check that out as well

Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Continuous Whining Noise/IDLER PULLEY

Thanks for your input. I have been viewing other LR Forum sites and most people have suggested the same as you. That my problem is probably the bearings are going in the IDLER PULLEY? I just can't understand why the dealership, actually the mechanic/technician was so quick to dismiss the issue as ACE Pump noise.....so different....or else the service person didn't actually explain my concerns other than just saying "noise", which is why when I go back on the 2nd August I will ask for a tech person to ride. Thanks again, Gordon

Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Drifting

The Idler pully is directly below the belt tensioner. Get under the hood and listen for a while. You should be able to tell if the noise is coming from that area. If the noise seems to be in that area I would bet money that it is the Idler pully. The factory pully is made out of plastic - really cheap. Its no wonder they go bad. The factory replacement is made out of steel.

Let me know what you find out.

Todd Ferrell

Old 08-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Three Wheeling

FINAL RESULT from tech at LAND ROVER Encino, CA:
IDLER pulley was fine.....Steel housing per recall...Original housing plaastic and would break. Hoses fine..therefore...as many of you said:
So the end result is.....THE ACE PUMP MAKES A NOISE ALL THE TIME.....Land Rover Encino technician Mike told me that my sound isn't a WHINING, but a WAAAAAAAWA.....who knew...and it is constantly working....so one just has to get use to it...as many of you said...or turn up the radio.....the ACE is coming back on the NEW LR sport...it will not have the same WAAAAwa noise. Thanks, Gordon

Old 09-28-2015, 07:50 PM
4wd Low

Hey guys, I have read over these forums and I just need to ask about my situation. Not sure if my rover is doing something different than not.

I have 2001 D2 and it whines when accelerate, turn and when I am idling. I had Steering Gearbox issue where the fluid was leaking from the top. I replaced the hoses and there is no more leak, but a slight whining noise still. After I fixed the gearbox the noise became a little quieter... but not like it used to be.

I don't have ACE in my rover.

I could use all the help I could get.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the ACE pump does make a noise, at least mine has from day one. Sounds like a bad power steering pump bearing, Ill changed the fluid and the strainer. you so soon get used to the noise and learn there are plenty of more important noises to listen for.