Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me to keep my Disco...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Convince me to keep my Disco...

I know the FJ's IFS is criticized frequently as a poor feature choice on paper, but then again most off road tests I've read online have given the FJ high marks. The main drawback to IFS is reduced ground clearance in some circumstances, is that right?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Mudding

Camdisco, did your friend's FJ have ATRAC and the rear diff lock? Seems to me that some FJs are a joke (many are 2wd and sold just for looks; you'll never find a Land Rover that crippled), but I'm getting the impression elsewhere that the fully outfitted 4wd models are reasonably capable...

-Andrew

Old 07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It was 4wd but no diff lock, it had AT tires too. I will admit he didnt seem comfortable driving and I think it was his first time in the FJ. I'm sure the really nice FJ's are awesome, but i'll be sticking with my disco until the day it dies. Have you looked at any jeeps?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Mudding

Also, I'm not sure that the mpg difference is negligible, given current gas prices. I'm getting about 12 mpg on average in my Disco, with an even mix of city and highway driving. Most FJ owners seem to get about 18 mpg on average. That's a 50% increase; added to that, the FJs seem to run fine on standard fuel (though premium pulls out a few more horsepower). That adds up to a potential savings of $80-$100/month.

I'm not sold on the FJ, but my wife is losing patience with my Disco "hobby" with the fuel costs and regular maintenance costs certainly higher than average. So I'm exploring alternatives.

But one of the comments above is certainly correctI'll never get out of my Disco even close to what I put into it in a sale, and I'd have to start over with the upgrades unless I find a well-outfitted FJ.

Still researching, and I appreciate all the input...

Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm heard they are reasonablygood offroad too, not too sure aboutthe transfer case and gearing though.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IFS should increase clearance, but articulation will suck, not as heavy duty as a solid axle (usually) and lifting it can bea pain

Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On the other hand you can get about any SUV right now for an amazing price, its almost a steal. Its a good time to be looking to by, but not to be selling. I was looking at the toyota website and I am convinced they will do fine off road with added features, so I will concede on that topic.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IFS has much better clearance and probaby better articulation over a stock solid axle..but those 2 things will not get you very far when you break a shaft. It all depends on what kind of off-roading you'll be doing...dirt roads with some mud, IFS is ok...large rocks and deep mud..forget it.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you want Jap quality, good looks and great off road performance this is the trk you need, seven pass, 9.5" ground clearance, 5,000lbs towing and 4-wheel indie suspension.

Quick Reply: Convince me to keep my Disco...