Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Bleed Screw---Gone!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:27 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Bleed Screw---Gone!!!

Today I changed the heater hoses and was in the process of flushing to coolant system. Just my luck, it started to rain and in my rush to finish I elbowed the upper radiator hose and popped off the bleed screw that I had not fully secured (I know, I know). I looked all over and could not find the thing.

So, is there a way to just replace the bleed screw without replacing the hoses? Also, is there a short term (very short term) fix that would allow me to get to the dealership to buy the new hose set if need be?

I have to have to drive 45 mi Saturday morning, so ordering off the internet is not really an option...

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

By the way, I have an '04. The radiator hoses are in very good condition as well.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Was the bleeder screw in the middle of the upper hose or the new "T" style above the thermostat? I cut the hose (old style) and put in a piece of brass pipe and clamped it while waiting for the new from AB. New style, can't help.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:45 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bleed screw could be down in the engine compartment somewhere. I would try to find a a wood screw that is a bit larger than the hole (its a pretty big hole so you may need to dremmel a longer screw short). Start the screw in the hole then squirt some RTV around the screw and screw it in and let the RTV cure. If you have not moved the truck yet just take a brake and then go find the bleed screw.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by CCROVERSE01
Was the bleeder screw in the middle of the upper hose or the new "T" style above the thermostat? I cut the hose (old style) and put in a piece of brass pipe and clamped it while waiting for the new from AB. New style, can't help.

It is the new "T" style system.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dive under and take off the plastic air deflector. It's most likely in there somewhere. Or, if you have an air compressor, blowing pressurized air might dislodge it from its hidding place.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Winching

As far as I know you have to buy a whole new top hose set-up. I broke my screw in half 2 weeks ago. Had to buy the whole set-up for about $70.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

I dove back under this morning and managed to find it...that's the one lucky thing that happened today.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling

HaHa

No really I did the same thing - my truck still has the plastic belly pan on it and I had to pull it down to get the screw back. It had glued itself to the old oil and whatever else, sticky stuff was on it. At first I tried tapping on it to locate the screw but, it had stuck on there tight enough to not rattle - pull the pan, its on there!

Also the local stealer has "just the screw" for like 5 bucks - thats why there are a few of them rolling around in my glove box, just in case. I changed all my hoses due to age.

Along with the screws - I always have at least one (whole) roll of rubber silicone-ized thermal tape and a stretch of inner-tube on-board. It can be used to patch radiator hoses.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling

before i changed to the new style upper hose i broke off the blled screw head. i removed the rest of the screw, and matched up a stailess screw the same size thread with a head that fit into the seat. i teflon taped the screw without an o ring (i cant remember if the oring was on the screw head or on the seat) and it worked perfectly. it was still holding until i replaced the hose to the new style. there isnt that much pressure on the hoses if the system is running right.

it
worked though