Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant boiling over thru reservoir after bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
could it be that it's a Range Rover "99 4.6 RR HSE trouble with radiator bleed" and not a Discovery?
Wow...I didn't see that. Yep, that would be the problem.

pgallagher99, get on over to the right forum section and I'm sure you'll get the help you need. Everything I told you was for a Disco II, and likely has nothing at all to do with your truck.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I DO have a Disco II maybe I can hijack this thread. I just replaced my water pump (again!) and tried to bleed my system.

I followed the "how to" on here, took the bleed screw out and filled the resourvoir but could never get the coolant to come out of the bleed screw.

i filled the res tank probably three times before it stopped going lower. I let it sit for 30 min and it didn't go any lower. So I decided to push on and put the bleed screw back on and started idling the motor with the heater on.

I didn't have to add a whole lot more coolant, probably 1.8 gallons overall. It got to operating temp and the top hose was hot, but it took a little bit longer before the heater blew hot. Took it out for a test drive and tried hauling a$$ and it kept the temp at normal temp.

Parked it, let it sit overnight. This morning, I opened the res and topped off to the "cold" level.

I don't have bad gurgling, but I do hear lots of water rushing when I have the HVAC turned off.

Temp seems to stay where it should. Am I ok or should I bleed it again?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you hearing water/air running thru your heater core you should probably give it another try. Was the truck cold and was the recovery tank raise 6-8 inches above the fender when you did it?

Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might help the bleed if you raise the front of the truck on ramps. I did that and had to add coolant twice after running the truck for some time.
Franky

Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by amccullough
I don't have bad gurgling, but I do hear lots of water rushing when I have the HVAC turned off.

Temp seems to stay where it should. Am I ok or should I bleed it again?
You are not OK at all. I'd be very concerned as to why nothing came out of the bleed screw. Think clogged something or other. Did you flush the system while it was apart?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Drifting

I did do it stone cold, but I did not raise the res tank or the front of the vehicle. I did flush the block, but did it while the water pump was off and went from the heater intake until it flowed out the front. Didn't flush anything else.

I will give it another try using your tips. Do I need to empty out the coolant first? What's the best method? I understand the drain plugs are hard to reach and to be honest, I've never been able to figure out where they are. I've laid under my truck with a print out from Rave several times and still can't locate them.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Winching

You don't need to drain the coolant. Just unclip the reservoir and hold it up. That's why you didn't get any coolant out of the bleed screw, and why there is still air in the system.

You'l be fine once you do it the right way. Forget raising the front. That doesn't make the coolant reservoir higher than the top hose. I've never had to raise the front on anything that didn't have some other problem.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Drifting

That seemed to do it. Thanks!