Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Change/Radiator Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011 | 06:27 AM
Banned

JB weld...

Old 04-23-2011 | 09:23 PM
|
Drifting

Ok so what happened to the JB Weld comment from the previous person before Bendu? Bendu are you serious about the JB Weld as well? Because I used it and now I'm waiting for it to mend or weld itself. Does everyone think this will work?

Old 04-23-2011 | 09:34 PM
Winching

I would of gone with teflon tape and maybe an o-ring if just the tape didn't work. What if you JB weld the screw in and want to take it out at some point in time? Good luck.

Old 04-23-2011 | 09:49 PM
Winching

Teflon tape, o-ring , JB weld and epoxy. In Miami we call that Cuban Engineering at it's finest. I feel your pain but I would just change the radiator and be done with it. All you need is for your repair to fail while you are driving down the road and toast your engine before you know it. The coolant systems on our trucks aren't the best, imagine one that is bandaged up.

Old 04-24-2011 | 06:32 PM
|
Drifting
Default Give me a gun or granade because I'm about to shoot myself or blow this Rover up

Ok here we go.
The JB weld worked, thank you everyone but...
When I filled the coolant up I had a little problem, read below------->>>

1) The Rover would take no more than 1 gallon of coolant.
2) The reservoir stays completely full and I can see the coolant streaming back into the reservoir from the small tube that connects from the radiator to the reservoir. But the coolant never goes down so I can fill it up more.
3) Bleed the coolant.
3) I decide to take a test drive. I get about 2 miles from my house and decide its doin good so I turn around to head back to the house. Out of no where the temp guage starts rising but I turn the heat on right away and pull over and shut the engine off. I had coolant with me so I let the rover cool off and was only able to get about a cup or two in the reservoir. I started it back up and continued onto the house. On the way there is a slight hill climb but big and it starts to get warm again. No red light or anything but it read warm. I pulled over and shut it off. I checked the reservoir which was completely full. I checked all hoses with a slight touch and they are warm. I waited 20 minutes and started up and got her back home.
So what's the deal? Please help.

I have replaced the thermotat with a new one from Atlantic British and replaced the radiator. I have used water wetter too. Help me.

Old 04-24-2011 | 07:24 PM
Banned

First point is never drive until you are 100% sure your cooling system is working right.
1 gal of coolant is impossible, it should take about 3 gal from empty. You must have air trapped in somewhere.
Did you unclip the reservoir and raise it a few inches?
Did you pop the upper rad and upper engine hoses off before you filled with coolant to get as much trapped air out?

Old 04-24-2011 | 07:35 PM
Winching

Call me a hillbilly, but I usually seal my mouth up against the overflow tank and gently blow until I force the coolant out of the bleed hole.

Old 04-24-2011 | 09:06 PM
|
Drifting
Question

Bundu I have disconnected all hoses as you recommended to get air out and raised the reservoir a couple inches if not more in the air. All the coolant left the reservoir but coolant came out the hoses when I disconnected them, so I don't know if it went where it was suppose to or if it went onto the ground. I know I didn't loose a lot of coolant or a reservoir amount but I'm not for sire. After that when refilling it took another gallon almost BUT I also lost a little coolant when disconnecting the hoses, so however much that would. Maybe total is a gallon and a half of coolant all together. Again, I know like you stated three gallons should be filling it up. But once again its full and will not go down.

Oh Photocrimes I realeased the bleed screw and air came out and then coolant came out. So I think I got all the air out but thanks for the recommended blow to my reservoir. Lol.

Please help. Sorry if this all seems stupid but I'm trying and no luck. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone give me step by steps? After the reservoir is to the max dpi start the engine to pull the coolant inside or what? I tried that and no luck.

Old 04-24-2011 | 09:15 PM
Winching

Lol, it was just a thought. Mine seems to hit a point where I pour the coolant in, raise the tank, and nothing. I need to give it a little help. ;-)

Old 04-24-2011 | 09:59 PM
|
Drifting

Yeah blowing doesn't help any. Any other ideas? Can anybody give me run down to refilling? Should I run water or anything through with some pressure to clean out?

Quick Reply: Coolant Change/Radiator Swap