Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant expansion tank leak, patch ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant expansion tank leak, patch ideas?

coolant expansion tank developed a pinhole leak on the side. is this another common problem?? anyway i got a new tank on order and i'm looking for ideas to patch up the leak. think duct tape can hold against 200 degrees F at max at 20 psi??

Old 09-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,472 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Use a soldering iron to push some plastic around and weld the hole up. Alt. B drill slightly larger hole, fill with high temp silicone, mushroom silicone in the tank, do not tighten cap all the way so it does not build pressure.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

A new coolant tank is not extravagantly expensive if a patch doesn’t fix it.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 868 Likes on 630 Posts
Smile

The soldering iron idea is very clever, but an alternative is to drill out the hole enough to plug it with a small, pan head all-purpose or sheet metal screw.

That's what I did a few years ago when the smaller nipple to which the line to the throttle body heater connects cracked. It was perfectly fine for a few months until I got around to ordering a replacement reservoir off eBay for ~$35. I should have saved the $35 and kept the old one plugged by a screw. I'm confident it would be going strong today, and who needs the TBH circuit? (Wait, that's another thread. Or a few dozen threads.)

Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Just get a new tank!

Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mln01
The soldering iron idea is very clever, but an alternative is to drill out the hole enough to plug it with a small, pan head all-purpose or sheet metal screw.

That's what I did a few years ago when the smaller nipple to which the line to the throttle body heater connects cracked. It was perfectly fine for a few months until I got around to ordering a replacement reservoir off eBay for ~$35. I should have saved the $35 and kept the old one plugged by a screw. I'm confident it would be going strong today, and who needs the TBH circuit? (Wait, that's another thread. Or a few dozen threads.)
Agreed, TBH is pointless in texas. Turns out duct tape worked just fine. Not driving the car until my new tank comes in. Any tips on installing to new tank for first time? Making a run to autozone for 13 L of coolant

Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,472 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01

I like your screw idea better! Seal it with silicone and you are good to go!

Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 969 Likes on 645 Posts

Have you ordered a tank yet? I've got two in my garage that aren't being used. Price of shipping and it's yours. I deleted mine so I've got no use.

The following users liked this post:
fleacz (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Have you ordered a tank yet? I've got two in my garage that aren't being used. Price of shipping and it's yours. I deleted mine so I've got no use.
Ya amazon has landrover parts with prime i should get it here in 1 day. I wish i knew u had extras laying around though they arent very expensive. Thanks for the offer

Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Amazon Amazon

I used this stuff to patch up a pinhole in my radiator. I've been running it for a few months now and no leaks at all. Definitely recommend as long as you don't care about looks, cures in an hour too.

Quick Reply: Coolant expansion tank leak, patch ideas?