Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant hose pipe broke please help ASAP I need a quick fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:44 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Coolant hose pipe broke please help ASAP I need a quick fix

My smartphone is also broke at the moment so I cant take any pics. I was cleaning out the engine air box, had to wrestle the lid of the airbox a bit to get it off and accidentally banged up against and snapped the upper coolant hose pipe. Not sure exactly what the pipe is called but it travels along the top of the radiator and loops a couple inches down right of the Radiator right beside the engine air box. Is there a quick temporary to this until I can get a new pipe? I was thinking of removing the genuine hose pipe clamp and forcing a couple centimeters of the pipe into the radiator then fitting a traditional hose clamp. Also considered using a typical lighter to melt the tip of the hose pipe enough then quickly force it over where it broke off. Would dry right up and possibly re-seal the pipe. I used this method to re-attach the brake servo hose pipe to the new servo assembly I bought. The pipe was to hard so it would not stretch and contour over the port so melting it a bit allowed the hose pipe to expand enough that I could fit it over the port. Would this work for the coolant hose pipe?

Yes Ive lost a bit of coolant on the ground as well. Im suppose to pick up family later today and celebrate Thanksgiving so and im broke at the moment so im really hoping I can figure out something. Also could the vehicle be driven in this condition say about 10 miles to the nearest walmart? I need to buy a jug of coolant and the hose clamp.

Please help.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

That little line that gets brittle? You can use a piece of heater hose to slip over it, clamp it on. Iirc 5/8 fits over it.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:59 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by dusty1
That little line that gets brittle? You can use a piece of heater hose to slip over it, clamp it on. Iirc 5/8 fits over it.
Yeah it broke it right where it goes into the radiator. Do you think autozone would sell a heater hose? Not even sure if they are open. Websites say they are open today but no answer when I call. Do you think I would be able to drive the vehicle there? Its about 15 minutes away via highway

Old 11-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used 5/8 fuel line for 10k. It's what napa had in stock... Not sure about driving it 15min. I saw once where a guy stuck a golf tee in the broken hose as a quick fix but I can't say from experience how well that works.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:02 AM
TReK

I think its the hose bleed pipe based off the picture on RoversNorth

Old 11-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Winching

Be careful messing with that nipple that comes out of the radiator it's sooo easy to break off

Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Winching

May also want to get 2 new hose clamps to fit the new hose because depending on the thickness you get your old clamps may not fit.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 AM
TReK

got a hose clamp but the dam pipe broke much further! Im pissed. If i could just get my hands on a small rubber hose.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Winching

I would just get some rtv and put it on thick around the broken nipple and slid the hose over it and let it dry. Might be a temporary fix for now.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:16 AM
TReK

need to go to store to get it but there are closed. More of the pipe broke so now i need a 2-3 inch long rubber hose and 2 clamps. Cheap parts, easy fix, but nobody open and there goes my thanksgiving out the window. Was suppose to pick up family and go to mothers. Sigh.... so eventually ill have to replace the entire hose, looks pretty easy. One end connects to the coolant expansion tank i think and travels along the radiator and done. But do i have to bleed the cooling system after i replace the hose?

Quick Reply: Coolant hose pipe broke please help ASAP I need a quick fix