Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

Been tracking down a coolant leak for a while now and today while doing some maint I was able to narrow it down to the front lower left side of the engine, looks like it could be leaking from the head gasket. I do not have any of the other signs of a bad gasket, such as coolant in the oil.
I replaced the radiator, all hoses, and reservoir about a month or so ago. After replacing these items is when I first noticed the leak. It is fairly slow at this point, topping off coolant about every two weeks
Looks to me like I am going to have to replace a head gasket(s) soon....

Other side is clean btw.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak-eng-front-left.jpg   Coolant Leak-front-left.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just be sure its not coming from just above there at the throttle body heater or the water pump.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Mudding

Not from the throttle body heater, thats new along with hose. No signs coming from there. I do not think it is the water pump but will continue to look around to verify

Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Water pump and front cover have water passing thru their gaskets. Look at the AB kit and see where the water channels are . Gasket - Front Cover (Part # ERR7280) - Land Rover gaskets and seals from Atlantic British

Now if it is the front cover gasket, may want to consider new water pump, new oil pump, and possible timing chain while you have it open.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If it is the head gasket, do it sooner cause a small leak can blow into a huge leak while driving and you will toast your engine.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Mudding

guess I will have to narrow it down this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Mudding

After looking into the parts list, it seems like it would be a good idea to do the head gaskets and the timing chain, water pump etc while I have everything torn apart. AB has the kits for 159 and 119.
I'm at 140k, replaced the radiator and all hoses, t stat, valve cover gaskets, with the hd gasket and timing chain kit done seems I should be good for a while......

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Mudding

***UPDATE****
Alright I know it has been a few weeks but the leak is pretty slow. Although annoying and obvious not a major leak. I attempted to get a better look at where the leak is coming from today. When I pulled off the bracket/support assy that the P/S pulley is attached to I found 2 things. One there is visible antifreeze/oil in the valley/dip in what looks to be the timing cover assy. 2. when I removed the lower bolt of the support assy for the compressor, where the P/S pulley is, the bolt had oil on it.
Sorry if that is confusing, but it looks like the timing cover may be leaking as opposed to a head gasket.
Any thoughts?

I did not pull the fan bc I did not have the right tools on hand and already had enough frustration going from external sources along with the normal Disco stuff.

thx

Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are going to keep driving this D2 - put in a bottle of Barr's leaks to stop the flow
of antifreeze into the engine.

Have run Barr's leaks in the Discovery I for years now.
Does not plug any passages.
All works great.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally I would not put anything from the stop leak products. Do a pressure test on your cooling system, bring the pressure up to 15 psi and let it sit for 10 min. watch to see if pressure is not holding, more then likely it will not. You should be able to more clearly see if indeed it is the front cover. Did mine last spring. Not too terrible, while you are there replace the oil pump gears and would suggest the timing chain and sprocket. My feeling on any stop leak product, while they may have affect they should be used for emergency reasons to get you to a place you can properly fix the issue. Some might disagree but in the end even band-aids break.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak