Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

On the stopz leakz - they are OK if cooling system is in great shape. Or in emergency. The problem comes when a poorly maintained cooling system has stop leak added. It wants to plug up crevices. The laws of physics are not suspended when fluids enter the radiator. If lots of crusty calcium in there, it will be restricted even more and overheating can begin. Here's pix of water pump coated on the inside with brown stop leak, so all the other cooling system has similar coat. There will be a modest heat transfer penalty. Pix of sludged radiators. Sludge and stop leak combined to make concrete, so no water flows in lower rows (it don't leak, but you have half a radiator). Small spaces in the water jacket of the block. And the most important little holes on a D2, in the top leg of the stat, don't want anything plugging them up.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak-p1030593.jpg   Coolant Leak-rad-crud.jpg   Coolant Leak-dex-cool-2.jpg   Coolant Leak-2006_block_casting.jpg   Coolant Leak-land%252520rover%252520thermostat%252520005.jpg  

Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the info Savannah. After looking it over I am going to go for the water pump, front cover etc and see if that does the trick. It is definitely leaking behind the A/C compressor support bracket/p/s pulley. I have never changed the water pump on this Disco. I thought I had but it was my old DI....so prob in order. Had this one since about 60k and now have 140K, guess its time....
Thx again
Rob

Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

A water leak behind the ac compressor will "a lot of times" be the timing chain cover gasket, that is exactly where they like to leak.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Rob, what have you ended up doing.. after reading thru the posts I wonder if you have ever done a pressure test. Or are you "winging" it with respects to what IS leaking. If you cannot 100% identify the cause of the leak there is little to no reason to go ahead and replace the water pump. So lets say you do replace it. All goes well no issues ,you get the system bleed correctly and 2 days later you see more leaking coolant from the same area. What now.. If it ends up being the front cover you will have to remove the water pump you just replaced. So, I say again pressure test. This is such an easy way to locate the issue on your coolant system. saving you time and money not to mention tracking down the real culprit on the leak allowing you to get this fixed the right way and saving even further expenses down the road should your choice prove wrong and something a little more catastrophic happen to fail. i.e. overheat.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Mudding

jeffh
I did what I could as far as a pressure test without completely removing the compressor support bracket to have 100% eyes on. The coolant did not come flowing out like a river but refilled the area (small valley in the front cover) below the bracket. When back together and running the leak was worse and from the same area. A little more back ground for you is that the whole coolant system is basically brand new minus the water pump. So when originally looking into this problem and seeing it was coming from the front left of the engine I suspected the head and or front cover. As I stated to Savannah I will be replacing the water pump, front cover etc. So as to rule out everything but a head gasket as soon as I have the kit I will replace the front cover gasket and all assoc along with the water pump. By the troubleshooting I have done and from what I can see I think that would be best. The kit was only 119 and the pump 65. I think this was the best path. If not then I guess it has to be a head gasket. As of now I have no other signs of a head gasket leaking and all other basic coolant system parts have been replaced in the last 6-9 months including the radiator.
Thanks
Rob

Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well sounds like a plan. I have done all of what you mention all in all not that bad to do. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Mudding

Thx. Looked everything over in the Rave manual. Only thing that showed any difference was in the Timing seal. In the overhaul it showed removing and replacing it and in the timing front cover gasket it doesn't show it being removed.
Have to get a couple tools for the job and same gasket sealant looks like.
Thx again
Rob

Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Assume you will change oil pump as well with front cover off?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Mudding

Good question. Was planning on it but not sure if it came in the front cover kit......
Thx

Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak