Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Coolant leak in cold weather

There is lots of info out there regarding coolant leaks. I have done some trouble shooting on my end but this is still proving to be a mystery.

truck is a 2000 D2 with just over 100,000 miles on it.

Noticed from the resevoir that it was slowly loosing coolant in early December. this seemed to coincide with the colder weather coming in.

Just last week fell into a cold snap hear in South Western BC Canada. Temps have been steadily 10 to 15 below freezing. I'm loosing coolant faster now.

Check the throttle body heater plate. very tiny amount of coolant. Like maybe a couple drops, but nothing resembling the photos I've seen online forcing a bypass or fix.

Checked all the hoses and under the truck. nothing is jumping out at me as an issue.

Changed the oil and it's oil color, not beige.

no coolant smell inside the truck and no notice of steam from inside the truck.

Carpets are a little wet on pasenger side, but no coolant smell, plus I had wet under those carpets back in the summer way before the coolant leak. I'm guessing that is a separtate water leak isue from rain.

So....thats where I am at. I will say that I can smell a bit of coolant when I'm on the hwy at high speeds and high rpm's. but that smell has only happened once or twice, nothing regular.

This forum is amazing for help and trouble shooting. Any ideas from you people would be greatly appreciated.

If it is the heater core or heater core O rings, I'd be smelling coolant and seeing coolant under the carpets right?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's a coolant map. One hiding place is the clamp under the coolant reserve tank, can leak while underway and it is not noticed.

Not sure how Canadian stores handle it, but in the US the major parts chains will rent/loan various specialty tools. One is a coolant pressure tester, you pump it up to 20 PSI (the vent rating of the coolant cap), and wait 20 - 30 minutes. Usually the leaks will show up.

Another method is to mix in a dye in the coolant. This can be seen in all sorts of places, from drips to flecks of green on spark plugs removed (because head gasket is leaking).

Agree with your idea on the heater core. Also note that coolant is always moving thru the core, there is no on/off valve.

Things shrink when cold, so perhaps a hose clamp some where needs a little snug up.

You have not mentioned noise like water flow under dash, which is good, no air in system (or exhaust gas from HG leak).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow 1.PDF (679.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Winching
Default coolant leak

Thanks for your help.

Couple questions:

As I said, I am seeing some coolant on the engine, obviously coming from the little throttle body heater plate. I would guess that I'm loosing the entire coolant res tank after about three tanks of gas (950 miles approx). Would I be seeing more coolant around that area, if this was my problem. Maybe that is the leak but it's all burning off.

And just to clarify, the cold weather would not effect a heater core issue, I.E. running the heater more often. Coolant is running through the core if the heat is on or off, correct?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

You are correct, heater core flow remains unchanged no matter AC, defrog, fresh air, recirculate, etc. Sneaky leaks happen as speed increases (pump pressure builds) and coolant is blown away or evaporates. The throtle body heater kit, see Throttle Body Heater Plate Kit | Land Rover And Range Rover Fuel System Parts, is cheap. While you can bypass it to confirm leak, in cool weather that could be fatal. This plate keeps the throttle body from icing up, which can happen even at 36F. Imagine deciding to exit from the expressway on a sharp ramp, and throttle stays stuck open at 75 mph....

Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am betting the wet carpet is from a clogged a/c drain, very common on these trucks.

As for the other leak, I think Buzz has you pretty well covered.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry - need glasses - wet carpet is AC drain many times, look like holes on the transmission tunnel under the truck. You'll want to unplug them (straw or piece of weed trimmer line), and consider doing something with the one that leaks on the tranny XYZ switch which will eventually cause problems.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Winching
Default leak

I got down and dirty earlier today.
The coolant is definitely coming down around the bell housing. After viewing this I did some searching and found a bit of info regarding valley pan gasket fix. I'll have to do the pressure test to be sure.

On a side note, also found what I think is "my LR oil Leak". I say it like that because everyone has one and now I think I know what mine is from. Crank Shaft Seal. but I'll save that for another thread. I'll keep you posted on what ends up happening.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

White Sheppard for rear seal.... when going toward the valley pan, you can do a fuel pump test on the way down much easier...

Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Winching
Default coolant leak

Hi, just to put an ending on this story. I did the air compression test and it was a blown head gasket. Not a super bad one but I made the decision to strip it down, clean it up and do a total gasket job. Also had the front crank seal replaced. total charge was $1800.00 plus about $200.00 in parts I bought from Atlantic British.

Truck now runs amazing and everyday I look underneath....no oil leak and no coolant leak. **** my driveway has never been so happy.

Thanks for everyones help.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Hi, just to put an ending on this story. I did the air compression test and it was a blown head gasket. Not a super bad one but I made the decision to strip it down, clean it up and do a total gasket job. Also had the front crank seal replaced. total charge was $1800.00 plus about $200.00 in parts I bought from Atlantic British.

Truck now runs amazing and everyday I look underneath....no oil leak and no coolant leak. **** my driveway has never been so happy.

Thanks for everyones help.
glad it's back running like it should and that you're not vomiting over the 2 large. it's a good feeling not worrying about the coolant system and oil leaks. one day i might get there as well.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak in cold weather