Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak - confirm my fears....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak - confirm my fears....

Please help, I'm nervous.....

Just finished the changing the sump, front cover, valve cover and water pump gaskets as well as checking the oil pump gears as I have a low oil pressure light and I wanted to check the oil pump gears weren't broken - they were fine so I've put it all back together and cleaned a few bits to try and get rid of the oily smell. The oil light is still on, so I've now got a new oil pressure switch to replace to see if that sorts it out. All this included an oil and air filter change and new oil and coolant. However......

I have a bad coolant leak which has just started since I put everything back on - the leak seems to be emanating from behind the PAS pump, and my fear is this is the head gasket leaking? Am I close?

The oil that came out was just black, nothing showing any water in it. The coolant looked like it hadn't been changed in donkeys years, so I'm wondering if the new coolant has 'cleaned' the inside and uncovered a leak previously masked. Worst case scenario to me is a cracked block.......please say this isn't possible....

Help needed - I'm going to start taking bits off again to take a harder look under the hood at confirming the location.

Thanks
Dave

Old 10-31-2015, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

There are plastic cooling lines in that area that could be spraying coolant

Old 11-01-2015, 01:59 AM
Drifting

Erm, bugger.

Tonight i have remove the Power Steering pump to take a look behind and it looks like it leaking from the head gasket - it oozing out from a joint about 1½ inches below the rocker covers......

So after all my hard work previously to stop oil leaks (which seem to have been successful), I have to take it apart again.

So questions questions questions - I'm going to start studying the RAVE manual to work through what I have to go through, and I think I've been through half of it already. So, am I going to have any gotchas? Something the manual would have kindly omitted?

I saw a good read on the forum, so will start reading now.

The fun really starts now

Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hang in there mate
Make sure you have a good torque wrench that does degree. This will give the final Stretch to the head bolts. Get NEW bolts those are a one time type and might not torque down correct.
Not a fun thing since you just did a lot of work.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Question #1: Would I need to empty the oil sump to change the head gaskets? I'm assuming I have to drain the coolant, but not so sure on the oil.

Question #2: I won't have to take the front cover off either? I'll be really hacked off if I do......

I start pricing today.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

How long have you had the disco for,? You say it wasn't leaking coolant before right,?
And also as you put it ""coolant looks like hasn't been changed in Donkey years""
My guess is there was a lot of stop leak of some sort in it & kept it from leaking, As soon as you drained that stuff & filled with fresh coolant, it started cleaning system & started leaking,,

So if you are lucky enough, no cracked block,

As for the oil, put everything back together run engine for a little bit, if everything checks out, then change the oil again,

Last edited by Bom2oo2; 11-01-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:18 AM
Drifting

Oil is fresh, like 1 week old.... I'd be gutted to fork out for fresh oil, when its not impacted. I'll check what it looks like (if I can) and make a judgement call on replacing. (stuff in NZ ain't that cheap...)

anyhoos, started taking the top of the engine apart, funny that I can now do it without the RAVE printouts

Getting to unknown territory now, got to read the RAVE manual now moving forward to get the heads off.

As for my parts list, i think I need: head gaskets (duh...), lower manifold, rubber seals for said manifold, new bolts for head, exhaust manifolds, and judging by the amount of sealant on the exhaust manifold, lots of that too. Am I missing something...?

In a strange sadistic way, I'm actually enjoying it. I just really hope that it doesn't throw something else up when I'm finished! And I'm saving on the petrol by taking the bus.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Most people opt to get a head gasket set plus bolts which gives you nearly everything to change the head gaskets. The one thing that seems to be commonly left out is the heater pipe to intake O-ring. I had to source that elsewhere. The part number for it is ERR6434.

Have fun, and good luck! The worst thing is breaking the head bolts loose. Unless the last people to change the head gaskets didn't properly torque the bolts like I found the other week.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:13 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

dont do anything until you pressure test your system. as timing chain cover gasket will also give you a leak that spray behind the PS and Ac compressor

Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Drifting

So, I've got to taking the head bolts off and boy, it's an effort. Broken one 16mm socket so far, and done two bolts. I'm struggling to break them, any advice on a good way to do this?

Drowssap, I've replaced the cover gasket and don't see any spray and also seen the leak from the head itself when the engine was running and still now. Really just hope there no where else!

Last edited by Georgebulldog; 11-06-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak - confirm my fears....