Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak..head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverD2002
The lower manifold gasket seals the lower intake manifold to the engine block intake sides of the heads
yeah it seals air not coolant..right?

Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
yeah it seals air not coolant..right?
No. There is coolant flow in the intake manifold. It travels from the heads, through the intake, and out the outlet pipe to upper radiator hose, and back to the radiator.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

i've been checking expansion tank everyday, and keep a bottle of 50/50 mix in the back, looking for a pressure tester to borrow.
I borrowed/never returned a pressure tester from advance auto parts. They charged me $170 to borrow it, but will give it all back when returned. I don't even think there's a time limit (not sure) but, they also told me I could keep it if I want. I don't have it right in front of me but I'm sure it's got a connection for your cap. It's got about 50 different ones. That way you will definitely have the exact right cap to check your system and when you return it you get all of your money back.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes a cavity in the lower manifold collects coolant flow from the engine. The coolant outlet pipe attached to the front of the manifold allows coolant to flow through the cavity in the casting to the radiator top hose. A smaller port in the manifold also allows coolant to flow from the cavity to the heater core. The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is attached to a port in the front manifold.

RAVE manual 30-2-5

Last edited by RoverD2002; 01-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 PM
TReK

if its just the valley pan gasket what other gaskets will I need? besides intake manifold and valve cover (might as well get them while I'm in there)

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

if its just the valley pan gasket what other gaskets will I need? besides intake manifold and valve cover (might as well get them while I'm in there)
I think that's about it, unless you need a throttle body heater gasket. It's REALLY easy to do that job with the plenum chamber off the engine. That's assuming you haven't bypassed it or it's not leaking.

Anyway, that would be a great time to do the plug wires if you haven't done them yet. Otherwise, that's it. No other gaskets in there that would need to be done. Unless you can visibly SEE something leaking there's nothing else you NEED to do, just a few wire connections and some hoses, vacuum lines, that kind of thing.

Make sure you get the end seals for the valley pan, I think they are seperate parts. I believe there are two, one on each end, front and rear. Basically just two pieces of rubber if I remember correctly.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recomend confirming intake gasket failure before embarking. Recommend downloading the RAVE workshop manual.

Possible source I am familiar with. There may be others.

Atlantic British
6 Enterprise Avenue
Clifton Park, NY12065
800 533-2210
Internet http://www.roverparts.com/

Bosch intake gasket kit
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9218B.cfm

Valve cover kit
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/VCGK.cfm

Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 PM
TReK

thanks for info guys. throttle body heater already bypassed. 8mm magnecor wires still good. I have another vehicle so pulling intake and verifying problem before ordering parts is the plan.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Cool, let us know what you find. I hope it's just a valley pan gasket for your sake, MUCH better than head gaskets!!! Good Luck man.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Cool, let us know what you find. I hope it's just a valley pan gasket for your sake, MUCH better than head gaskets!!! Good Luck man.
AutoZone sells the valley gasket, can't find the part number but I originally found it here on LRF. IIRC it was around $35.

Quick Reply: coolant leak..head gasket?