Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak and towing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Coolant leak and towing question

My beloved D2 decided to spill her coolant guts all over the parking lot at work today a month after having the head gaskets done. I don't know if it's a hose or a gasket, etc. and think I lost my regular friendly mechanic so am thinking of having it towed to an independent shop here in town. My question is this: Should I request to have it towed on a flatbed tow truck? I've never had to have it towed anywhere but something in my memory tells me that I read that it should be on a flatbed... any advice?

Bummed that I'm dealing with this only a month after I had the heads redone. Hoping it's just a hose.. coolant is running down the back of the driver side of the engine, hitting hot metal and steaming all over the place.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

flatbed tow truck

Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flat bed

Drives side huh? There is two hoses that attaches to the throttle body there. if the trottle body is leaking you will see coolant on the valve runnin off the back of the engine dripping onto the exhust.

It is a common leak point

Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
flatbed tow truck
Thanks.. will do.. see? You helped me with something! :-)

Old 12-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
Flat bed

Drives side huh? There is two hoses that attaches to the throttle body there. if the trottle body is leaking you will see coolant on the valve runnin off the back of the engine dripping onto the exhust.

It is a common leak point

Thanks. Yeah, that describes it perfectly. Running off the back of the engine and dripping onto the exhaust. It's leaking quite a bit. So this is going to sound stupid but would that involve tearing into the plenum again? Please tell me 'no'... what a pain in the ***. I love this vehicle but it's driving me stark raving mad right now. I've put in over $2000 in the past 2 months with repairs, tires (which I still owe on), brakes, etc. and that was on the cheap with the help of a friend. Is this an easy fix or expensive? A guy at one of the local independent shops said to me on the phone today 'I'm trying to talk you off the ledge' and started laughing. So you know how my attitude must be today :-)