General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'04 Discovery-coolant leak, now no leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Discovery-coolant leak, now no leak?

Recently bought the Discovery of my dreams with about 93,000 miles on it. My mechanic changed the intake manifold gasket and two other gaskets with parts numbers LVC100260 and ERR6621. A day or two later I drove the car about 50 miles and checked the coolant when I returned home. It's level had dropped about an inch and half to two inches. The mechanic came back to the house to look at the car and said I needed a new head gasket. Called the dealer and they confirmed that the previous owner had indeed received a quote to replace the head gasket (about 3500$). Please bear with me here as I am a first time Disco owner and am just beginning to educate myself on car mechanics (I'm just a mom! This ain't my area of expertise!). Anyway, my mechanic (who basically charges me next to nothing to do the work as he is a friend of my husband's) said he doesn't feel capable of taking my engine apart to do the head gasket job, but he is comfortable replacing the whole engine with a new/used one. So, I could either spend 3500$+ at the dealer or do the new/used engine for about the same cost with the mechanic. One more note of interest, there has been no change in the coolant level since he came over to look at it following that mentioned inch and half drop. I have driven the car all over tarnation, checking the level every time I stop and before I go. No change. What's up? Any ideas? I put myself in your very experienced hands and am so glad I found you here. Thanks in advance for any info, ideas.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, don't do anything till we can talk. The coolant system can only be checked when cold and if you were to need a head gasket, you can get them done in the $1500 range.
Send me your number and let me show you a few things to check and do before worrying too much.