Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in oil again please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe this is a silly question, but did you check for and how much coolant you were losing when you tried to run it again? White smoke?

I had my oil contaminated with coolant a few months ago and it took 3-4 oil changes to get it completely clean again.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guy,

I decided to take 20 minutes and take the oil pan off, to see if I could find where the leak was coming from. After I got the pan off, I poured water into the reservoir and it started dripping pretty fast from what looks to be the front cover. I have attached some pictures. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails Coolant in oil again please help-imag1066.jpg   Coolant in oil again please help-imag1068.jpg  

Last edited by Jason428sc; 10-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You have a lot of water going into the oil.
The antifreeze will ruin the main bearings.
Did the oil have a lot of copper sparkles in the sunlight?

Careful with that.

Antifreeze can enter from the intake manifold where it joins the head.
If that junction is not sealed, the water may run under the valley pan gasket and into the engine that way. The only thing protecting the open "V" is the valley pan gasket.

Water pump - if the plate the water pump bolts to is cracked, I suppose water could enter that way. But you would also have oil in the coolant system I would think.

The oil cooler is not part of the radiator as with Discovery I. So, I don't think a bad radiator on Discovery II would cause this.

Thing about leaks - were the leak appears is sometimes not where the leak actually is. Antifreeze can run down from somewhere high up.

Like ants in your house eating what you left on the counter - the line of ants - where they enter the house is the "leak" or problem. As is where they end up.

If you must drive it - put in two can's of Barr's leaks until you find the leak.

But, best to fix this now.

Here is a picture of a timing cover.
I can't see how water can enter the oil - from behind the water pump unless the cover is cracked..

Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 AM
TReK

You need to pressurize the coolant system.

Seal it all up.
Put in water - not antifreeze.

Put 15 lbs of air into it.

I would pull off the small plastic tube that goes to the overflow tank.
Put 15 lbs of pressure into that tube.

And put a short hose and clamp onto the over flow tank end and vice grips to seal the end of the hose - so that no leaks.

The air pressure will probably make a sound where the leak actually is.

Seems like a big big leak.
Sorry.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont listen the the previous guy its obvious he doesnt have a clue as to what he is talking about. Replace the timing cover gasket. Check the timing chain and oil pump gears while its out. May want to consider replacing the water pump as well while it is off if you haven't done so already. Make sure you torque the front cover and water pump bolts to spec. Fill with coolant and pressure test again before you put the oil pan back on. If all is good put the pan back on. You may want to check the main and rod bearings but if you haven't driven or run the engine much you may be ok. You will want to make sure all the contaminated oil is out, maybe do a few "flush" cycles of drain run and fill with some cheap oil to get the gunk out.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM
TReK

I don't have a clue?
Tell me then - HOW is the water getting behind the timing cover.

One gasket seals the water pump to the timing cover.

The other the timing cover to the engine.

With respect to the water pump, the timing cover is simply "the back" of the water pump and nothing else.

So, what then is YOUR POINT?

How is the water getting in?
How will replacing the timing cover gasket to engine keep water out - unless water is simply falling onto that junction from another leak..

What is your point?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh boy where do i start....

how do you think coolant gets to the block from the pump? via the timing cover. coolant passes from the pump THRU the timing cover then into the block. the gasket (timing cover to block @ the two big openings on the top of the gasket) tends to leak at times on the inner edge closest to the timing chain and down the front of the block into the oil pan which equals inner mix (coolant mixed with oil, since i know you don't know)

my point (since you asked multiple times in your post - once would have done just fine BTW) was that you indeed do not have a clue jFAIL and have obviously never had your own timing cover or anybody else for that matter off. if you don't know what you are talking about you shouldn't give others advice on it.

cheers.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

preasure test your system, then when it turns out to be the timing cover gasket/ replace it. you dont say what you have for milage but if its over 100 you should concider replacing the oil pump, timing chain and gears and water pump. you will have to remove it all for the gasket anyway why put old stuff back on.

Oh and dont ever add any kind of coolant sealer to you engine, no matter who tells you to. It will only lead to future more expensive problems. And just because it may say senior member after a name does meen they know jack, it just meen they spend a lot of time posting. myself included

Last edited by drowssap; 10-05-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for all of the input. I've ordered the timing cover gasket and will let you know how it turns out.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 PM
TReK

I see your point and I stand corrected...

You are correct - I have never had my timing cover off.

I guess I will take it off - sometime when the water pump blows up.

That's what I get for posting when I am 1/2 asleep.

Thank you for correcting my error.
I don't like to post false information.

Since this is the case, the timing cover is indeed very delicate.
Thank you for the clarification..

Quick Reply: Coolant in oil again please help