Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant and oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 12:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant and oil leak

Hi all. Did research but the threads were from years ago so thought I’d ask for advice.

2000 disco 2 - 150k

*so 6 months ago notices a slow oil leak. Would have to put a half quart in every 3 weeks. Still about that rate 6 months later.

*now I seem to have a slow coolant leak. The overflow res goes below line every week or so and I have to fill up.

*car isn’t running hot, no smoke or ticking.

*I took and pressure washed oil pan to try and gauge where leak/s coming from.

first thought it was the front crank seal, but as of now see really no leak coming from that area. Does have guck near it tho.

*then in pic 1, I spotted this hose that got wet quickly and looks in bad shape.

*in pic two, it seems coolant fluid is seeping through the bolt. The fluid was orangish.

May I ask what that hose is in pic 1?

also thoughts on fluid from bolt in oil pan. Guess it could be brown like oil but seemed bright orangish.

thanks.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Difficult to tell much from the pictures... I can offer some rule of thumb advice for oil and coolant leaks:

- PCV mod can help with valve cover leaks if your stock oil seperator is clogged. Takes 5 minutes (since you have the 4.0 - it's a bit more difficult on the 4.6) and costs like $5. Link here.
- Have you checked the water pump for coolant leaks from the weep hole? If you pop the serpentine belt off of the tensioner, you can wiggle the fan to see if there's any play in the water pump pulley (which is what causes the weep hole leaks). Need to have the belt removed in order to see if there's play, though, since the belt will put on too much pressure to see if the pump shaft is wiggling. Water pump replacement is a $50 part and takes 1-2 hours in the driveway.
- Coolant leaks from the throttle body heater are also common.

The following users liked this post:
Garrett Larrow (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are your head gaskets original? It looks like oil is coming from above the pan to me. I had a 2004 that was leaking oil pretty good from the corners of the head gaskets. No other issues. Your first picture looks like the wire loom for the driver side knock sensor.

The following users liked this post:
Garrett Larrow (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Thanks for replies.

yes believe original gaskets.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
Are your head gaskets original? It looks like oil is coming from above the pan to me. I had a 2004 that was leaking oil pretty good from the corners of the head gaskets. No other issues. Your first picture looks like the wire loom for the driver side knock sensor.
sorry also do you feel it could be the oil gasket? Or the main head gaskets? There’s a difference right or all the same thing?

im no pro at repairs etc but I’ve heard of course to replace head gaskets it is expensive. Is an oil gasket more inexpensive ?

Old 10-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett Larrow
sorry also do you feel it could be the oil gasket? Or the main head gaskets? There’s a difference right or all the same thing?

im no pro at repairs etc but I’ve heard of course to replace head gaskets it is expensive. Is an oil gasket more inexpensive ?
There is a difference as there are many gaskets that keep oil inside an engine. For example, you have lower intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, timing cover gaskets and front crank seal, oil pan gaskets, just to name some of them. Seeing that you have a lot of oil and grime above the oil pan indicates to me that you have some type of leak above that. In your first pic, I've circled where the oil looks to be pretty fresh. If you can track where this is coming from, I think that will lead you in the right direction of this particular leak (you could have other leaks too). Then you can decide if you want to fix it, or live with the leak. Head gaskets are a bit pricey.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,501 Likes on 1,065 Posts

That location could also be from the power steering pump. You can add a bit of ultraviolet dye to the engine oil, power steering fuild, and coolant and then using an ultra-violet lamp to see where it is coming from. Also pcv mod is a good idea, also good idea to tighten outside valve cover bolts.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:40 AM
Drifting

Thanks everyone for feedback and help.

One last question

so worst case it’s head gasket leak I’m guessing? Good sign that it isn’t would be no smoke, oil isn’t milky leak wise and not overheating?

any recommend a process I can take to rule out gaskets?

so far I see something happening above the oil pan and then I believe coolant leaking out of a bolt under the oil pan.

1. Buy dye and put in oil and coolant then Try and see where leaks are coming?

2. Take apart fan belt and check water pump and seals?

3. take off oil pan and check seal gasket?

I guess what I’m asking, as pros, what steps would you take first to last for a small slow seeping oil and coolant leak?

and some people recommend a coolant flush? But just hoping dye would work.

main point being I don’t want to replace water pump, oil pan, throttle etc etc and just find out it’s like the head gaskets.

thanks, just trying to prepare steps.

Last edited by Garrett Larrow; 10-14-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,175 Likes on 812 Posts

The coolant is not leaking out of that bolt it is running down to that bolt.

It could be :
  • Valley pan gasket
  • Head gasket
  • Throttle body heater
  • Hoses connected to the throttle body heater
Start with the simplest the throttle body heater and associated hoses, it is a common failure point. Given how the engine sits coolant can run down the valve cover and off the back.
If your head gasket is leaking externally you will not have smoke,coolant in the oil or a misfire - note to see the coolant in the oil on the dipstick it has to be a massive leak. On smaller leaks it only shows up when you dump the oil and watch it drain you will see the coolant come out last.

Given how dirty everything is get it steam cleaned, then it is much easier to track the leaks.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Hi guys. Just want to document my findings.

so I took off radiator cover. See the main hose has a leak by the clamp. (Separate issue) seems straight forward to fix.

but after I started it for 30 minutes, saw a steady drop leak of bright orange behind the oil pan. Pics attached.

Any thoughts? I plan on doing the uv thing etc but curious what part/s that it could be leaking from engine wise?

it is solid bright orange coolant the link.

Quick Reply: Coolant and oil leak