Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did your mechanic fix that throttle body leak? If not i would start there, you can just block it off, coolant to the throttle body isn't necessary. Yes, auto zone has loaner coolant pressure tester..but I don't think it will work with our rover radiators.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want to verify the leak, don't waste your time and money on dye, just do a pressure test.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
did your mechanic fix that throttle body leak? If not i would start there, you can just block it off, coolant to the throttle body isn't necessary. Yes, auto zone has loaner coolant pressure tester..but I don't think it will work with our rover radiators.
He did indeed; the plate was corroded to the leaking point, so he replaced it. The top of the engine doesn't appear to be wet, so far as I can see.

And thanks for the pointer, Rob; it didn't occur to me that it doesn't really matter *where* in the coolant loop one applies the pressure; i was fixated -- as I suspect many people are -- on the cap.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Drifting
Default ok, what?

can we recap this for me cuz I'm getting lost. My rover just started shooting (and I mean shooting) coolant out of that thing under the throttle body too. Never noticed a coolant issue befor last night when I was suddenly out (temp didn't get so bad that the light came on but she was running hot when I noticed the problem. Hope she's ok) what is going on in there and how do I correct it?

also, any other things I should be looking for? Would this indicate any larger problems?

thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

Get this and fix it
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010KG.cfm
Also check the hoses that attach to the TB heater, they get brittle and brake.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
4th Gear

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so hello al and pleasure meeting.

Now let’s get back to the top at hand. I have Land DII and I seem to be experiencing the same problem as the thread starter. I had my land rover since 2004 and it has only 86,546 miles on it. About a year ago it started having coolant leaking coming from the driver side of the engine and the machines told me (after taking couple hundreds from) it was not that of big deal. I changed the water pump, steering pump and they put some liquid to shut the hole where the coolant was leaking from (Top kill, like PB oil leak).

My check engine and SRS comes on for weeks and then disappears.

I so frustrated now I hate land rover, which were once my dream cars.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

By the way I live in Columbus, Ohio and any reference to great mechanics is also welcomes.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

[quote=Somal;199278]Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so hello al and pleasure meeting.

Now let’s get back to the top at hand. I have Land DII and I seem to be experiencing the same problem as the thread starter. I had my land rover since 2004 and it has only 86,546 miles on it. About a year ago it started having coolant leaking coming from the driver side of the engine and the machines told me (after taking couple hundreds from) it was not that of big deal. I changed the water pump, steering pump and they put some liquid to shut the hole where the coolant was leaking from (Top kill, like PB oil leak).

My check engine and SRS comes on for weeks and then disappears.

I so frustrated now I hate land rover, which were once my dream cars.
you hate landrovers now cause your mechanic did a texporary fix and now its broke.if you didnt do the headgaskets yet you probley should.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Somal
and the machines told me
You talk to machines? I've heard of people talking to animals.
Anyway, you got screwed, that coolant leak is a big deal and you most probably need a head gasket job, it is only going to get worse. That stuff they put in to stop the leak will not fix it and will most probably end up clogging your radiator.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Bundu and BMW ZHP.

By the way it drives smooth and there are no other problem, except when I park and come back for it couple minutes later there is pool of coolant under neath it.

Someone mentioned "Head Gasket", how much does it take to chnage it including the part.

Quick Reply: Coolant problems