Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant recovery plastic nipple broke off radiator-is there a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default coolant recovery plastic nipple broke off RADIATOR-is there a fix?

I was just finishing up a final few things after replacing the headgaskets,....as I was moving the A/C compressor back to its mount I bumped the small tube/hose that goes to the top of the radiator from the recovery tank,.............and just like that...........the damn thing broke off.

There is a very short remnant of the plastic nipple that the short hose slips over remaining.................wondering if anyone has had success plastic welding, epoxy-ing, bonding, gluing, a replacement tube in its place.

Anyone else encountered this and come up with a reliable work around?

BC in Cedar Park.

Last edited by bcolins; 06-02-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just get a length of 3/8" heater hose and cut the plastic tube back as far as you need to find a good section. But chances are good that there are no more good sections....the whole thing is probably brittle.

I've replaced all of mine. I originally had replaced a broken one with all 3/8" heater hose, but decided that I wasn't entirely happy with that solution (worried about routing, vibration and rubbing making it fail) and ponied up to AB for all new ones. If you're careful and mount/attach the heater hose well, you would probably be fine. I just had slightly more money than patience and was already placing an order.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Just get a length of 3/8" heater hose and cut the plastic tube back as far as you need to find a good section. But chances are good that there are no more good sections....the whole thing is probably brittle.

I've replaced all of mine. I originally had replaced a broken one with all 3/8" heater hose, but decided that I wasn't entirely happy with that solution (worried about routing, vibration and rubbing making it fail) and ponied up to AB for all new ones. If you're careful and mount/attach the heater hose well, you would probably be fine. I just had slightly more money than patience and was already placing an order.
Daryl, again, please read before responding. The nipple broke off the radiator!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There is no fix for that. The plastic on your radiator has become brittle with age and even if you could do a short term fix, it will blow again and you don't want to torch your engine.
Go to British Parts of Utah and buy one of their radiaror, also replace the t/stat and coolant pressure cap at the same time while flushing out all the old Dexcool and replacing it with Peak or some other god quailty coolant.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Daryl, again, please read before responding. The nipple broke off the radiator!
Bcollins, again, your tone is not appreciated.

Feel free to point out your own solution or that I missed something in context. But **** off with attitude.