Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant switch - anybody have problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default coolant switch - anybody have problems?

Has anybody had issues after flushing the dex-cool out and switching to regular coolant?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: coolant switch - anybody have problems?

And why do you want/think you should be using regular coolant???????????????????????????????????????

Old 12-20-2008, 04:56 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, I've read and heard more negative comments about dex-cool than positive. We all know it's responsible for LR head gasket damage, if it's not flushed regularly. I would just prefer to have it out, but I know switching coolants can also cause problems..it's like we're stuck with this crap...frustrating. [:@]

Old 12-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, it is not the main cause of head gasket failure, because no electrolicis is ever found on either the head or the block, the main cause is a poor design with bad material.
As for having to change the coolant every 2 year, why bot, it helps maintain the water pump bearing and keeps our crazy engines cool.
So you are not stuck with, "This Crap", you are just working from some misinformation.
The other end of it, yes it gets a bad wrap but for now that is all we have.
You can go a step further and throw a bottle of Purple Ice or Water Wetter into your system for more protection.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as you do a complete flush and as long as the new coolant is a 50/50 premix that is safe for aluminum engines you are fine to switch.
If Dex-Cool is so good then why does LR recommend changing it every 3 years or 45,000 miles?
Why was there a class action law suit againt GM after they switched to Dex-Cool?
You can use it, just make sure that you change it every 2 years, just a drain and fill is all you need.
I usePeak Global Lifetime 50/50 premix.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my experience with coolant is no matter what you are running to change it out every 2 years.

i dont care what the fluid is, coolant, water, oil etc. if it is run though an engine it gets contaminated and therefore can and will slowly erode iron or aluminum. fresh fluids = clean fluids.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my three cents worth, this is from Peak's website...

B. What is an Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolant and how is it different than conventional coolants?

Conventional antifreeze is formulated with inhibitors composed of neutralized inorganic acids, such as phosphates and silicates, to protect a cooling system against rust and corrosion. Over time, however, inorganic inhibitors deplete and may no longer provide maximum cooling system protection. This is why it is generally recommended that conventional coolants be changed every 2 years or 24,000 miles.

In contrast, OAT coolants are formulated with neutralized organic acids to form a highly effective corrosion inhibitor system that provides maximum cooling system protection. Organic inhibitors do not deplete as quickly as the inorganic inhibitors used in conventional coolants. This is why properly formulated OAT coolants typically provide up to 150,000 miles or 5 years of cooling system protection between service intervals. The superior OAT formula in PEAK Global LifeTime uniquely provides a LifeTime of cooling system protection - for as long as you own your vehicle.

Robert

Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Team Owner

The problem is that once the OAT wears out it turns acidic and eats gaskets and such.
Dex-Cool is a 150,000 mile coolant WHEN properly maintained, it needs to be ph balance tested every 6 months, if the ph is wrong then it needs to be changed.
Even though the Peak coolant that I use is a "lifetime" coolant I still change it every 2 years, just a drain and fill. It's cheap insurance.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That - Drain and Fill... is that as simple as dropping the lower hose or is there more than that?

Robert

Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Team Owner

Nope.
A drain and fill is just opening the petcock valve, if we had one, and draining out as much of the old coolant as possible and then refilling with new.

If you do not know that last time the coolant was changed then first do a complete flush.
Or if you are switching coolant then do a complete flush and fill.

Its 2008 so next drain and fill is in 2010, then 2012, 2014, etc. Do it on even years and it is easier to remember.

Quick Reply: coolant switch - anybody have problems?